Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC). - New users not working currently, New users please use 'City Bug Club' Facebook instead

It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:42 pm 

Drives: 2013 C1 Connexion
Hello!
I've recently passed my driving test and bought a nice little 3 door 2013 C1 Connexion off my Aunty. Only 13000 miles on the clock (I bumped it up to 15000 last night, only took me 2 months :| ) and a service history. She owned it for a month and the only other previous owner was an old lady.
It had a full service including oil change only last year and runs nicely, plus is perfect for my 10 mile commute to work every day and the odd bits of running around. The cheap insurance and fuel costs are a huge bonus too.

But I have a few questions (which have probably been covered many times)
1) I'm thinking of replacing the lights behind the fan controls with the blue kit sold on here but I'm not too good with hands on work, it it a quick job? how easy is it to dismantle the dash for it?
2) I may or may not have kerbed my car a few times... With alloys... For now I've patched a few of the smaller scuffs with some Hammerite paint but is there a cheap and quick way of filling in larger gashes and painting them so they're not so obvious? I don't want to end up paying hundreds of pounds for another company to come over and redo them just for me to dammage them again...
3) Are there any other simple tips anyone has for keeping it maintained and in good nick concidering I do 100+ miles a week (other than fluid levels and tire pressure)?

Thank you very much and I hope to have a bit more of a poke around on here when I'm not at work :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:01 pm 

Drives: 2006 C1
Hi and welcome, recommend you get a Haynes Manual. There might be a guide in the full members section about the lights, or on YouTube.
One simple thing to keep is a can silicone spray, many uses, ie spray a some on a cloth and lubricant the door and boot rubbers. Same to stop the windows sticking just spray it down the channels.
Loads of tips on here. Drive Safe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:20 pm 

Drives: C1 splash & Vtr+
The blue lights behind dash are an easy swap job

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:08 pm 

Drives: C1 Phase 3; 107 Ph 1
Yarp, I believe that the heater lights are an easy swap. If you were also planning on doing the actual dash bulbs (speedo, rev counter) then I *think* they are actually LEDs soldered on to a circuit board. So they would be more complicated.

A +1 for the Haynes manual. It's pretty thorough and very useful, especially if you are not too familiar with working on cars.

With a bit of filler, sanding and painting, it is possible to make a reasonably decent job of reconditioning wheels. Professional companies do charge quite a lot of money (although they should do a good job and give you a nice powder coated wheel). If you are not bothered about keeping the original wheels, you might even be able to pick up a set of alloys (new or used) for less than the cost of a professional refurb if you don't fancy doing it yourself. Stop kerbing your wheels though. :P

Anyway, welcome and I hope you enjoy your car. They are a great first car. :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:58 pm 

Drives: peugeot 107
if you can afford it get a set of steel wheels (2nd hand) and fit plastic trims save your ali wheels for when you are more confident you will not damage them
Ron

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:43 pm 

I thought about suggesting steelies but you can pick up cheap alloys or steel wheels for much the same price if you shop around; even when buying new.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:25 am 

Drives: 2013 C1 Connexion
Honestly a Haynes manual is not something I thought of, I'll definitely look into getting one. YouTube tutorials are a huge life saver in general tbh.
As for dash lights I'm good with soldering but don't mind the red on there too much tbh, matches the red Connexion trim :D
I'm starting to get the feel for my car a little more now, knowing what's where but unfortunately my alloys suffered greatly within the first few weeks, once hitting a brick or something as I tucked out the way for an oncoming car in a country road and once when I moved out the way for a speeding fire engine ;-; I will look into cheap replacements though because I do like the stock ones (yeah, I'm that guy)
Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:14 pm 

Boggle wrote:
YouTube tutorials are a huge life saver in general tbh.

One of the users on here (kaliope) has made loads of useful youtube videos.