Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC). - New users not working currently, New users please use 'City Bug Club' Facebook instead

It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: My first oil change!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:23 pm 

Drives: Peugeot 107
Just done my first oil change, on any car, ever. I think everything went okay, my car (a 107) hasn't exploded yet, and I've driven about a mile with the new oil already.

The main thing I was panicking over was jacking the car up. I had a trolly jack and jack stands, which in the end I didn't use. I just used bits of scaffolding board screwed together to make a ramp, and drove up on to that. Probably only raised the front end by 3 inches; which was plenty enough for access to the oil filter and sump plug (probably I could have done it with the car on level ground).

Everything went smoothly. When I was putting new oil in, I wasn't sure I had the right amount, I'd estimated 3.2 litres, but there was nothing showing on the dipstick. I ran the engine for about a minute, no oil warning light. Checked the dipstick, still couldn't see anything. Then when I looked later, I could see new oil, but it was so clean it was practically clear, and I wonder if it was there before, but I just missed it because it was clear?

Oil was about half way between the two marks on dipstick...

I'd put oil, using my finger, around the rim of the new filter (on the rubber seal ring), then tightened it by hand. Also, new crush washer on sump plug, which looked like a round copper ring; hope I got that tight enough, I was fairly firm with it.

Car seems okay, but as I'm pretty inexperienced with these things, I'm convinced something will go wrong. The filter will come lose, or the sump plug fall out, or washer fail; the engine will drain of oil, and the car will blow up.

I guess I need to check the oil level now, and keep an eye out for oil leaks over the next few days...

Post subject: Re: My first oil change!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:38 pm 

Actually, I just drove a bit, parked up for 10 mins and checked the dipstick and I don't think there's enough oil in. How long am I supposed to wait before checking the oil after driving? Is it bad to drive when the oil is below the lowest mark on the dipstick?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:44 pm 

Drives: PEUGEOT 107
If the oil light on the dash went out after starting and stayed off, you should be ok. If you measured ok, again you should be ok. I've have a very old measuring pot, takes me a bit longer, but at least I know how much I put in. If you didn't already know, the dipstick is terrible to read, one of my very few pat hates of the 107, so takes me a few goes to get a good read.

Sounds like you did it all ok to me, like you I use a trolly jack just to jack the car up on it's suspension few inches, so I can get under to oil filter and sump plug.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:18 pm 

Thanks Steve.

Further developments...

I took a look at the dipstick, decided there didn't look to be any oil on it, so I put some more in. Look at dipstick again, and (nice) neighbour turns up, who happens to work at a garage, he said it was over the max mark by about .5 litre.

Not sure if it's my eyes, but it (new oil) looks practically invisible to me.

Had to loosen off sump plug, drain some oil, and re-try the dipstick, a few times. I think it's okay now, though, it's still really hard to read the level on the dipstick.

I'm just thinking there could be a problem with the sump plug crush washer, now I've loosened and tightened it a few times?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:57 pm 

Just keep an eye on it all for next few days, sure it will be ok. Especially with our 107, you have to trust yourself/myself you put enough in, the dipstick read is so bad, so my accurate measuring jug is very helpful when doing our 107.

Interestingly, my sister just got a newer 108 with 1.0 engine and surprise surprise, the dipstick holder is alot straighter and easier to read!

Sure everything is ok, like you I worried first time I serviced my first car many years ago, but all was ok, and you will soon be spannering like crazy!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:35 pm 

Drives: was VTR 2009
It's not you, the dipsticks are hard to read, and even more difficult with fresh oil.

You were right to drain some out, too much is almost as bad as not enough.

The sump plug washer will be fine. The factory ones are fibre washers, which won't really crush like a 'proper' crush washer. I re-used mine for ages.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:16 pm 

Ah thanks chaps. No sign of any leaking oil yet, so looks like the crush washer is okay and won't need replacing. Will keep an eye on the oil level though, just in case. I'm a bit confused because the oil level is about bang on mid way between the two notches on the dipstick, yet I'm positive I've only put in about 2.9 litres (judging by how much oil I have left of the 5 litres I got).

Is that where to oil level should be, midway? Or is it better if it's closer to the top notch?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:50 pm 

Trust yourself, sure you filled it ok. Probably the crap dipstick reading, cos like you I usually get mid way solid oil mark and then a little slither up to the full mark. Don't be tempted to overfill. Not sure if you used a measuring jug or not, but maybe worthwhile for next time, but if you did then it another check that confirms all should be ok.

Back in the day, I was paranoid about everything when servicing our cars, but you soon get the hang of it and get into the routine, the good thing is these are great simple cars to learn spannering on, if you haven't already, get yourself a Haynes manual, always handy and at least gives you an idea what certain jobs entail and if you can do it yourself. I'm no expert, and certain jobs I wouldn't attempt cos you need special tools or ramps, rather than a cold/damp driveway, but surprising what you can do with a trolley jack and some axle stands, which sensibly you already have, so onwards and upwards.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:47 am 

Drives: Aygo+
Hard to read dipstick with new oil but as long as u got 3litres in with no leaks there is nothing to worry about.
I use toyota celica oil filters which are larger than aygo ones. I notice less rattle on cold starts with them and they add a tiny bit more capacity to the oil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:52 am 
Administrator

Drives: Ice cream van
My mr2 and c1 use the same oil filters yet totally different cars

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk