Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:49 pm 

Drives: C1 Vibe 5dr 1.0 2008
Hi all, Number One Son has a C1 Code and we've just upgraded his dash speakers. I want to add a secondhand sub-woofer to improve the bass (you can only expect so much from 10cm speakers). I don't really want to pull the standard HU apart (Doz stylie) and am considering just tapping into the rear speaker feed (B1, B2, B7, B8) from the B-block and then using C5 from the C-block to switch the sub on. Has anybody else got any experience of doing this? Thoughts, pitfalls, advice? All will be gratefully received :-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:43 pm 
Club Founder

Drives: Was C1 1.0 2005
The standard head unit is junk to be honest but a powered sub with high level input should do the job ok.

The NEW improved CityBugStore! - For all your C1, 107, 108 and Aygo needs. Support the club! Club Members Discount, enter code C1OC at checkout

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:33 pm 

Hi Roc, fair point, I'd stick a DAB HU in, but he's a Smooth FM boy so there doesn't seem to be much point ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:28 pm 

I've found a Goodmans GCA 450 on Fleabay that will take a high level input - will let you know how we get on. It's unfortunate that the line-out connections on block c aren't enabled as they would be a much cleaner source :-/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:01 pm 

Drives: PEUGEOT 107
Hope all goes well with the install, I fitted a Kenwood KSC-SW01 underseat sub few years ago, but to aftermarket Kenwood headunit I had spare from another car, so used its easier RCA phono leads connection. Just checked the manual and that sub had ability to use standard speaker connections. Also mentions if no blue /power control wire then to use ignition switch ACC line, which sounds about right. So you know that sub was superceded by the KSC-SW11 few years ago, but had similar features.

If it helps, there are manuals for both these subs online, which show the subs details, wiring etc, so maybe worth a look. Sorry tried adding links but official Kenwood ones went to Login screen, but easy enough to search.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:10 pm 

That's interesting - thanks for the info. I have suspicions that C5 might not work (given that Doz found that the line outs on the C block were dead) so will try A3 or, failing that, tap into the feed for the 12V socket outlet for a switched live. I've looked at the Kenwood and think it would be a better solution (20:20 hindsight), but am now in the process of sorting out an eBay screw-up on my part. Bought a Vibe Optisound 8 Auto underseat sub woofer, unaware that they did a passive version. No prizes for guessing which one I bought - doh! Seemed like less hassle to put in an amp than mess about selling the passive speaker. I'll put the speaker under the passenger seat and the amp under the driver's seat. It also means that I can tease my son about having a metallic LIE-LACK power amp in his car - heh, heh ;-)

Will report back on the outcome when we have it all plumbed in.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:16 pm 

Drives: 2008 Peugeot 107
This little guy plays beyond belief in my 107, it can be connected by RCA or speaker output.

https://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/car-audio-subwoofer-box-dieci-dba200-3/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:18 pm 

Hi Frederick, thanks for the suggestion but I'm looking for something that will go under the passenger seat - the boot of his C1 is always full of rubbish! Further to Steve107's suggestion, I've picked up a KSC-SW11 on Fleabay - which will give us some options.