Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:59 pm 

Drives: Toyota Aygo
Hi there, I hope somone can help me or point me in the right direction.

My apologies if something similar has been posted before but after searching the forum I can't find an answer.

My manual 2016 aygo has suddenly stopped allowing me to change gear.

I'm totally confused by the situation, whilst driving home, after engaging neutral at the traffic lights when I tried to put the car back into gear, the clutch peddle went very stiff and I could not put the car into any gear.

I parked up with my hazards on, once I switched the car off, I was able to put the car into any gear.

Leaving the car in second gear I managed to get it started and I carefully nursed it home, the issue occurred only 1/2 mile away from my home luckily.

Whilst driving the 1/2 mile, the car behaved faultlessly besides the fact that I couldn't change gear and was stuck in second.

There was no clutch slippage, no grinding noise from the gearbox, I therefore don't understand what the issue is.

I have checked the footwell and there's no leakage of fluid but my clutch peddle can be moved upwards (has play in it when disengaged).

The brake fluid reservoir is also full and I cannot see any leakage anywhere.

I believe the Aygo has a clutch cable, could this have broken or stretched? I heard nothing break, snap or bang whilst driving home and the radio was turned off.

If anyone can guide me as to what is the likely cause that would be really appreciated.

Also, my vehicle is still within the 5 year warranty period, would a clutch / clutch cable be covered under the standard 5 year warranty?

My car is converted to LPG, I'm concerned that toyota may not honour the warranty even though both the clutch or gearbox were not modified as part of the conversion.

Thanks

Adeel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:28 am 

Drives: 2007 C1
Well if it was difficult for all gears then its probably not the gear linkage, and as you drove it the clutch plate is ok.

So my guess would be either the clutch release bearing or the clutch fork.

I wouldn't expect the release bearing to be a warranty item but would for the clutch fork.

As for the LPG conversation I guess it's only argument would be a LPG is less calorific so you would need more revs so you will be heavier on the clutch.

But in reality they will probably just tell you it's a clutch issue and as a wear and tear item you will have to pay.

How many miles has the car done?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:04 am 

Hi thanks for the response

Car has just clocked over to 34k

Ive never had a clutch fail on me, and wouldn't expect that to be the case with such low mileage.

Does the low mileage change your thought?

I think I read that the clutch is classed as wear and tear so excluded from warranty but wanted a second opinion to be sure

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:17 am 

Also, would you rule out the clutch cable?