Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bike rack for Aygo MK2
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:12 pm 

Drives: Toyota Aygo MK2 2014
Hi everyone,

I’ve just bought a 2014 Toyota Aygo MK2 5dr. I have a couple of bikes I would like to transport on the back. They are both ebikes so quite heavy but total weight would be under 40kg. Been looking around on the internet and here, the best solution seems to be the westfalia rack that bolts to the chassis. I’ve asked around and there are 2 versions, one for the mk1 cars and another for MK2. They have a different part number, look the same but must be some minor differences due to the changes of the car.

Now I’ve searched everywhere for the MK2 version and it’s out of stock everywhere. Been told that it’s no longer made by westfalia, they don’t have any themselves. I have seen one of the older version on eBay but the seller says it’s not compatible and I don’t want to take the risk.

Second solution but more expensive was to buy a towbar. I ordered a westfalia one off eBay, only to be refunded by the seller who told me they’ve stopped making them too!

Searching everywhere, I can only find a brink towbar on eBay for the MK2 Aygo and nothing else seems to be available on the internet.

I do have a saris bones rack with some missing straps and an Aldi cycle carrier that straps on the tailgate. Bit wary with both of these solutions because of the glass tailgate and he weight of the bikes. Because of the weight, mounting the bikes on the roof is not an option.

Has anyone tried to modify the westfalia mk1 rack for the MK2? Or any good racks out there that would work well?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:42 am 

Drives: C1 Vibe 5dr 1.0 2008
I run around with Thule roof bars and a locking Thule cycle carrier as a permanent fixture on my 2008 C1. Having the bars on is remarkably useful when I need to transport items that will not fit inside the car as well - keep a couple of webbing straps in the boot. You should be able to pick up a set secondhand on eBay and get the correct feet - plenty of this kit around (or buy new if you wish). Have used Thule for years - good kit :-)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:55 am 

You could then use something these lines to help you with the weight of the e-bikes.

http://www.atoc.com/tandemtopper.php

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:02 pm 

Thanks for the reply MPJ. It looks a good idea but I would prefer a solution on the rear of the bike rather than on the roof. I'll keep an eye out for one of those westfalia racks or failing that, a towbar. I think ebay is the only place I'll find one of those, pretty much given up trying anywhere else.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:55 pm 

Hey Paul, I've given this a little more thought. I've remembered that, in the distant past, I've used a rear mounted rack on a glass edge rear hatch by using the rear cross bar from a roof bar set as the anchor point for the main weight bearing upper straps (those that would normally attach to the leading edge of the boot/hatch). Then you just need to check that the rear bumper is strong enough to take the main weight of the bikes. The side straps and the lower straps are there to stabilise, rather be load bearing, so they don't take a lot of weight. Certainly on a Mk1 there are two towing eyes below the bumper that would be ideal for the lower straps. The side straps would just need a bit of gaffer tape on the edge of the glass - unless you start throwing the car around they don't have too much to do. A Thule roof bar takes five minutes to put on or take off, so pretty practical. I used a Halfords high level bike rack (gets the bikes above the number plate and lights) and this arrangement was stable enough for three bikes on continental driving holidays. It may look slightly unconventional, but easier/cheaper to source than a C1 towbar and an assisted lift bike carrier :-)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:58 pm 

Thanks MPJ for the advice. I think a normal bike rack may do the job - it will be certainly a lot cheaper than a tow bar. The MK2 boot is a bit different than the mk1 as it does have a metal section at the top so you could get clips in the gap between that and the main roof. I have seen a pic of an orange MK2 on google images with this set up. The only issue is the MK2 lights are higher up the car so would probably need a light board. I’ll see how I go with the 2 racks I currently have.