Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:56 pm 

Drives: 108
Hi guys! (Yes second post in minutes, a couple of months after my car went out of warranty too)

Was driving to work this morning and all of a sudden my car started making a really loud whirring noise. It sounded like it was coming from my touch screen but changed noise with changing gear.

When I turned the engine off the noise continued. Turning the car back on stopped the noise but turning the music back on started it again. Any ideas? It isn't the AC fan

My old 107 once did the same thing but pulling out my cigarette lighter usb port solved the problem, hopefully it's a loose wire and nothing more serious!

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:36 pm 

Drives: C1 2012; 107 2009
Were you sitting in traffic? It could be the electric fan for cooling the radiator kicking in if the car was starting to get a bit hot from sitting in traffic without air flowing over the radiator.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:58 pm 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
laurenn 279 wrote:
When I turned the engine off the noise continued. Turning the car back on stopped the noise but turning the music back on started it again. Any ideas?

Since turning the music back on restarted the noise the first thing to ask is does the radio have a fan on the back of it (most do)?

I can't remember since I changed the radio in my C1 many years ago...

If the radio does have a fan then I suspect that's your culprit.

Sadly missed - 2006 Audi RS4 Avant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:47 pm 

Drives: 108
Thank you both for replying! I was sat in traffic but only for about 5 minutes, it was particularly cold here so I probably had the AC blasting! I'm not sure if it has a fan but that also sounds like a viable option, I'll take a look into both! Thanks again

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:43 am 

Drives: PEUGEOT 107
My sister's Peugeot 108 does the same, whirring/fan noise from touchscreen, I only noticed it when stop and turn engine off, it goes on for minute or so. As PetrolDave says I remember someone mentioning touchscreen cooling. Also, I thought it could be quirk of the aircon.

We also have a Peugeot 107 without aircon, and never had strange noises like this, so I put it down to some 'feature' of the touchscreen or aircon, on ours it does stop and is consistant in operation, so just got used to it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:37 pm 

Drives: 2007 107 Urban 5dr
I too have noticed this. I do some work for a Citroen dealer and sometimes if im using or moving a C1, i hear the noise coming from the touchscreen area.

When i first heard it, i thought it must be a fault but then when i've heard it on other ones too, i gather it must be some kind of design feature.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:24 pm 

Drives: C1 2012; 107 2009
107MC wrote:
i gather it must be some kind of design feature.

"It's not a fault, it's a feature." ;)