Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:24 pm 

Drives: PEUGEOT 107
Being a tad old, I remember cars of yesteryear had their window glass etched with reg no., my sister's old 1989 Ford Fiesta had it from new, that and it's steering lock it's only security features :lol:

Years ago we had our 107 glass etched by a mobile guy who came to the house, but he now long gone, so found this company Vinguard on internet and they supply a kit to etch VIN into glass, the kit arrived from good ol' USA and you get vin stencils and glass etching fluid to etch VIN no. into the glass.

Each etching takes about 5 minutes to work it's magic, but what takes the time is measuring and positioning the stencils to make it look good.

You also get some body panel labels to apply VIN marking to painted body parts.

As with any car security you can only do so much, but for those interested thought I would share my experiance, it fairly easy and straight forward to do, cost me less than £30, so well worth it imo.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:46 am 

Drives: 2006 C1
Hi well you know that we have the chassis number. My C1 has 6 on the glass. I have seen it on many of our similar models here. Every time that the car changes owners it becomes a new plate. So that system would not function. Or when the owner must rerigister the car in a different city.
Berlin to Hamberg for example.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:34 pm 

Know what you mean, years ago they did the reg no. before the crazy for private plates took off, so now VIN no. covers that. I had my Mondeo done years ago, and even then the guy who did it at my house did the VIN no. cos I had a private plate on it.

Interesting that it popular to have glass etching over in Germany, it seem to die off here as a security measure, maybe car ringing isn't that popular here anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:58 pm 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
The theory is that the cost of replacing all the glass is more than the car is worth, but if the intent is to steal the car to break into parts then it won't help much.

Sadly missed - 2006 Audi RS4 Avant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:50 pm 

Agree with you, shame the mobile chap who did our 107 is no longer doing it, cos he did all windows, door mirror casings, front+rear lights, even the wheel trims. Worryingly our 10 year old 107 is probably worth more in broken parts than as a whole car :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:48 am 

Drives: 2006 C1
Hi it's not just the year, it included a whole load of writing and the glass makers name and details the 6 is l get the feeling there as an add on. Like the makers and the car were not together.
If you know what I mean. If was just Luck. Never seen a 7 on the end yet.
Think the glass maker was Serial or something.