Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC). - New users not working currently, New users please use 'City Bug Club' Facebook instead

It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:46 am 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
Enjay wrote:
No energy exchange system of these types is 100% efficient, so each step adds to the potential for energy loss.

Typically a battery requires 1.4 times its capacity to charge it i.e. a 100Ah battery needs 140Ah to fully charge it from flat (and proportionally less if it's partially charged).

2015 Skoda Octavia 1.4TSI Elegance estate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:51 pm 

Drives: PEUGEOT 107
Agree about EVs concerns, another one for me is the battery life and replacement, I read manufacturers guarantee batteries for 10 years, but also not heard about how easy/cost effective it is to replace them, and if cost is prohibative, then scrapping cars is just more waste/pollution. Having had 2 family cars both doing 25+ years service, before getting our Peugeot 107 then 108, will the current crop of EVs/batteries last as long.

Also, most of the manufacturer EVs tend to be larger family cars, so for me not good for town/city centre driving and parking, which the citybugs excel. Those little french leccy cars although a noble effort, still didn't really catch on, so as we know all the small petrol engined city car is proving a hard act to beat!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:03 pm 

Drives: C1 Phase 3; 107 Ph 1
Good info. Thanks.

I spoke to a guy at a car show last year. He had an electric BMW (i8) and he didn't own the batteries. They were merely on some kind of lease/hire agreement. The car is, apparently, monitored and he received an email from the battery owners telling him that he been driving the car in a manner that was not consistent with their contract (basically, he'd been thrashing it around some country lanes).

Also, for long runs, with petrol, I know that I can pull in at a petrol station, fill up and be on my way in 5 minutes. If my car needs a charge, I'm adding a couple of hours (give or take) to my journey during which time I am just sitting around drinking coffee and not making any progress. I'm sure Starbucks will support the proliferation of EVs.

Some sort of battery swap system at "electricity stations" would get around that but it would mean agreement on battery standards, capacities and a whole bunch of other things that are unlikely to be agreed on (or even be possible to agree on).