Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:17 pm 

Drives: 2014 Citroen C1 Airs
Hi everyone

I have a 2014 C1 so the newer model. I passed at the start of January and I really lack confidence when forward bay parking. I was fine when learning and fine for the first few months but in March I accidentally scraped a car next to me when parking in a right hand bay. I turned too late so and completely misjudged the space as I was really tired (I learnt my lesson, dont drive on a lack of sleep!)

Since then I found that I have no confidence when parking especially between two cars. I tend to park away from people in empty bays now and get really anxious when car parks are busy. I think my problem is I also some times rush when parking up which means I dont really have a plan I just drive in how I think is right.

I learnt in a Toyota Auris so a considerably bigger car and I was fine with parking. I'm really struggling getting the reference point in my C1. I find that when I park either on the left or right that I struggle getting centred and usually am much closer to the line on the driver side so I have to reverse out and straighten up

Can anyone give me some tips for forward bay parking and what does everyone else use as a reference point? Like where should the first line of the bay lined up to on the car before turning in?

Thanks all! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:22 pm 

Drives: C1 Vibe 5dr 1.0 2008
Hmm, my other car is a Ford Mondeo estate - so I find the C1 hilariously easy to park. I suppose that you could shuffle back and forth and get yourself lined up properly on a space and then apply some coloured insulation tape to reference points on your A posts or dash. Otherwise it comes down to spatial awareness experience really. You might find it easier to reverse in - that way you can use the door mirrors to ensure that you are central between the lines.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:35 pm 

Drives: C1
Cameras, get a Camera.. You will have to upgrade your radio though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:14 pm 

Drives: 2006 C1
You could always buy a blind spot mirror that might help.
Remember also that you are not the only one who has parking problems.
I personally hate reversing into parking spaces.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:54 am 

Drives: PEUGEOT 107
Not sure of reference points, but maybe go out and practice in a quiet empty car park to build your confidence. My sister was the same few years ago when she got her Peugeot 108, she driven her previous car for over 20 years, so found front and rear views a lot worse than her old car.

As said I driven much larger cars, so find our 107 easy to park, but admit front end is blind area, so probably subconsciously use the A pillar/mirror as a reference point.

Know your pain as remember many years ago I was rushing to park in multi story car park for work and being clever thought I could squeeze through a gap, but got me angles wrong and clipped rear end on concrete pillar, so learnt my lesson to take my time and not be rushed by myself or other drivers!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:29 am 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
I agree that the very short bonnet makes finding a front reference point tricky, harder than on cars with longer bonnets I reckon.

SWMBO has problems parking after 45+ years of driving, almost always ends up right at one side of the bay or sticking right out at front or back - so it's not something to be overly concerned about.

Sadly missed - 2006 Audi RS4 Avant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:57 am 

Funny you say that, l have a scrape N/S front from parking. Misjudgment on a curved wall.
Keeps coming into my head about adding 2 poles to the front bumper with Reggae flags on them to give me reference points. Or maybe those sporty chrome bonnet locking things with locking pins. Fitting will
be a pain and the flags will look rather stupid.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:10 pm 

Drives: 2019 Smart Fortwo
I don’t like reversing much either, reversing in between two cars isn’t too bad but reversing into a parallel bay scares me and I just avoid it. It’s not like I often need to parallel park.

In fact with my old car I tried to save some money by going to a cheaper back street garage. When I arrived I proceeded to reverse back blindly into a lorry causing a scuff.

I was only trying to drive it into their workshop. I vowed that day I would never try to save money on a service again.

6-Speed Dual Clutch Automatic
Rear Parking Sensors
White with 15” Alloys

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:54 pm 

The things about our driving we keep to ourselves. None of us know each other, but we have a multi-storey carport and going up or down the corners are sharp. You would not believe the amount of scrapes on the walls in there.
That’s when owning a small car like ours really pays off. And I can drive right up to the top where there are no cars and practice my parking skills. ( Don’t think so ) Funny thinking about it, is that the reason why handicapped and families have 2/3 parking spaces so that they can park l wonder.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:22 pm 

Drives: Peugeot 107 (2005)
I've been having a problem with bay parking, mainly due to the fact that I passed in November 19 but haven't been able to drive until I got my 107 four weeks ago. It's mainly a confidence thing and not knowing the reference points in the car yet, so I called my instructor to ask if he had any tips and he suggested a bit of a cheat, or hack if you will... He said if possible to park a bit further away from the place I'm stopping at, because they'll be less cars here (which means less chance of damage either from me scraping someones car or someone scraping my car), and choose a bay that's empty and back to back with another empty one. Drive forward into the first bay and carry on through into the second. This gives me more time to get properly aligned in the bay and has the added bonus that I'm facing forward so I don't have to reverse out.