Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:15 pm 

Drives: 2019 Smart Fortwo
andyo15 wrote:
As I mentioned earlier this was why I followed the video and got a Samsung S3, they are cheap and as can be seen on my attached photos it works?

Yeah I presume your car predates the 2018 update which adds Android Auto compatibility so there wasn't much point in you getting anything more recent.

6-Speed Dual Clutch Automatic
Rear Parking Sensors
White with 15” Alloys

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:00 pm 

Received my Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini 16GB today, it came in the original box and is in excellent condition, there are few very minor signs of wear but nothing major, as described.

So I went onto the Google Play Store to download Android Auto but it wasn't there, did a bit of googling and found out that this maybe because of my location.

It's available to the United Kingdom but maybe because I'm in Jersey that doesn't count, so I went onto my VPN connection and connected to a server in the United States and I was then able to download the Android Auto App.

Went down to my car and plugged into the USB port and started the Android Auto App, it then asked me if I wanted to connect to Android Auto on my cars head unit. I agreed but then it needed to download some apps and as I don't currently have a SIM card in it there was no data connection available so I couldn't download the apps.

The previous owner was a silly sausage as he left his Tesco mobile SIM card in the phone which I could make phone calls with, not sure if it was a PAYG or Contract, but I called my iPhone with it to see the number and to check if there was a SIM card in it.

I've now removed it and will get another PAYG Sim card later as my iPhone is on PAYG as well. So its looking like Android Auto will work with this phone after all. I'm very pleased I haven't wasted my time.

Rear Parking Sensors
White with 15” Alloys

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:22 pm 

Drives: C1 1.2 FLAIR .ABARTH
I use the ‘Personal Hotspot’ feature to piggyback the S3 , I haven’t put a Sim in it as I have plenty of data. Surely you could do the same and continue to experiment?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:25 pm 

andyo15 wrote:
I use the ‘Personal Hotspot’ feature to piggyback the S3 , I haven’t put a Sim in it as I have plenty of data. Surely you could do the same and continue to experiment?

Yeah good point I could setup personal hotspot on my iPhone and then use this as internet connection. I’ll give it a go. Thanks.

Rear Parking Sensors
White with 15” Alloys

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:36 pm 

Used my iPhone as a hotspot as you suggested and was able to get some data down there in the car park, so now I can see something on the maps.

upload image

Rear Parking Sensors
White with 15” Alloys

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:54 pm 

kmm wrote:

Does the phone need to be on the Mirrorlink compatible list for it to work?

Just one thing you mentioned you downloaded the Android Auto App but that won’t work with your head unit as it doesn’t have the 2018 updates, that’s why nothing happens when you plug it into USB.

You didn’t say whether you downloaded the Drive Link App instead which uses Mirrorlink. There’s a fair chance your head unit will support that.

Your phone meets the minimum criteria for Android Auto but your head unit doesn’t. You have version 5 on your phone but version 6 is recommended.

It all depends how accurate the Mirrorlink compatible list here is...

https://mirrorlink.com/phones

Note that andyo15 Samsung S3 isn’t on that list but works with Mirrorlink.

Rear Parking Sensors
White with 15” Alloys

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:24 pm 

Drives: peugeot 108 2016
nlel wrote:
kmm wrote:

Does the phone need to be on the Mirrorlink compatible list for it to work?

Just one thing you mentioned you downloaded the Android Auto App but that won’t work with your head unit as it doesn’t have the 2018 updates, that’s why nothing happens when you plug it into USB.

You didn’t say whether you downloaded the Drive Link App instead which uses Mirrorlink. There’s a fair chance your head unit will support that.

Your phone meets the minimum criteria for Android Auto but your head unit doesn’t. You have version 5 on your phone but version 6 is recommended.

It all depends how accurate the Mirrorlink compatible list here is...

https://mirrorlink.com/phones

OK, so now I have got an old iPhone 4s and the correct Peugeot iPhone cable which plugs into the USB and AUX ports. The AppinCar opens and I see an interface on the car's screen but it does not mirror the screen on the iPhone 4s. Has anyone got the iPhone 4s working and mirroring their screen?

Note that andyo15 Samsung S3 isn’t on that list but works with Mirrorlink.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:35 pm 

Drives: C1 1.2 FLAIR .ABARTH
Going back to one of my original posts I obtained a 4s and the correct Peugeot Citroen cable etc and got nowhere, Appincar has no viable apps anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:50 pm 

Your Samsung J3 running Android v5 Lollipop should be able to do Mirrorlink with the right app on the phone and can even run Android Auto with the correct head unit although Android v6 Marchmellow is recommended.

The app in question for Mirrorlink seems to be the Drive Link App which andyo15 obtained from Samsung and not from the Google play store.

Seeing as you’ve obtained an iPhone 4S it suggests you’ve exhausted all other options.

Rear Parking Sensors
White with 15” Alloys

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:15 pm 

I’ve been doing some googling and it appears the Drive Link app was released for the Samsung S3 back in 2012 with further smartphone compatibility due to be added in future.

You’ve probably read this already...

https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-electronics-introduces-drive-link-the-smartphone-app-for-drivers

It’ll run on Android v4 Ice Cream Sandwich. I wonder if the Drive Link app for the S3 will run on newer phones or whether they released newer versions of the app for more up to date phones as promised.

Alternatively is there another app available which will do the same thing, might be worth looking on the google play store for alternatives.

Android Auto was easy as long as you have a compatible head unit and phone you just need the app which works on many different Android smartphone models.

Rear Parking Sensors
White with 15” Alloys

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next