Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:11 pm 

Drives: PEUGEOT 107
First of all a lot credit goes to Dave9_3 :wave: who fitted reverse camera to his daughter's C1 Feel (2015) and posted a lot useful info in his topic below:-

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12476

We have a 108 Active (late 2014) it looked fairly straight forward thanks to Dave's detailed instructions, so I first bought the Car Solutions adapter lead online, cost about £18 (with discount) and arrived in just over a week. That little bag in forefront photo is some handy bullet connectors they also supplied, just crimp those to your red/pos+ and black/neg- wires and plug onto their adapter, easy.

Then I started looking at the cameras, found a few on AliExpress, I wanted a neat integrated look, so got one built into a replica number plate lamp and handily they sell just the replica lamp holders on their own or you can buy the camera, lamp holder and wiring altogether, which I did, this cost me about £14 and again took just over a week to arrive and looks like this :-

I then had to buy some wiring to run length of the car to power the camera from the car solutions adapter to the short power lead for the camera. The camera kit I got came with a 5 meter video lead, but very short power lead, assume they think you will be wiring to the reverse light, which as Dave mentions won't work for our cars, so I got 5 meters of some 2 core (red/pos, black/neg) from eBay for about £3.50.

Following Dave's instructions the stereo fascia pulls off easily and I would recommend removing the 2 screws and pulling out the stereo a little as even with my dinky pinkies I would struggled and it easy enough to remove 2 screws at the top and pull out and makes adding the car solutions adapter and routing the wires behind the stereo a lot easier.

At this point, I sensibly decided to test that the camera worked once I had connected the car solutions adapter to the stereo/screen, just in case either the car solutions adapter or reverse camera were faulty, but happy to report it worked a treat, select reverse and picture displays on screen nicely, unfortunately it was of my ugly mug rather than a proper rear view.

I routed the wires down the passenger side, but pleased to report that lifting carpet and trim as easy as it was in our older Peugeot 107, the passenger carpet had some velcro holding it down in middle of footwell, the kick panel has a plastic screw to remove then just pulls off.

Removing the door seal running along sill and pull up the carpet which has plastic clips holding it down, which reveals cable wiring trunking running along the sill, so I just attached mine to that, but handy it there as gives something to attach wires to.
Ours is a 3 door, so I managed to pull off the bottom corner of the rear seat side plastic trim just enough to feed the wires through to rear of the car and lift the plastic trim just enough to tuck the wires behind/under the trim without fully taking the side trim off. I also removed another plastic fastener holding down plastic side trim to side/rear of rear seat, this just aids lifting and tucking wire behind.

As you will notice not used a screwdriver once, well apart from stereo removal, unlike cars of yesteryear, all the trim has either fasteners/poppers holding it on some are visible, but most are behind trim, just be gentle and try spread load with your hand and trim should pop off fairly easily or a trim removal kit is handy for trickier ones.

With the wire in the boot, I looked behind the bumper few weeks ago and noticed a rubber bung/grommet below passenger rear light carrying existing wiring from boot to behind rear bumper, so to access from boot I removed the central plastic cover/trim (which covers the rear boot lock) remove 2 plastic lugs (visible inside boot) and has 4 hidden plastic fasteners along the top edge, but it does just pull off. This allows the left rear corner carpet to be lifted and reveal the bung/grommet. The bung looks to be integral to loom, so just make a small hole to feed the camera wires (video and pos/neg) to rear number plate light, you can remove the bung just enough to make making the hole easier.

So near yet so far, I had to call it quits at this point due to the rain and other important business, so the camera is still not fitted as such. It took me a while to get to this point, but I did spend a while making a mini-wiring harness of the video wire and pos/neg wires, so that took most of the time.

Thought I would post my experiences of doing this mod and if anything it backs up Dave's initial post on how easy and straight forward it is to do and having seen 2nd hand pukka reverse camera's for these cars going for £70 just for the camera, this method is a lot cheaper and relatively plug n play.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:40 pm 

Drives: 2015 C1 Feel
Hi Steve,

Glad my original wafflings worked for you.

It should be equally applicable to 2014 model year onward Aygos also, as all three of variants generally use the same head units and wiring.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:58 pm 

Thanks Dave, more than waffle, very helpful info, for me the one useful feature on the next level 108s, the horrible alloys (Citroen's alloy designs
always been better), iffy chrome trim and keyless entry they can keep. Hopefully the weather plays ball next time my sister visits so I can finish the job.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:30 pm 

So Big Sis came to visit today, so I could continue installing the reverse camera to number plate light location.

I fitted to/removed the left side number plate light, which they recommend, as the camera sits centrally that way. Also, I did all this without removing the rear bumper, there is a metal skin/crash structure behind the bumper anyway and rear bumper wiring is between this skin and the rear wheel well.

Removing the original number plate light was easy enough, pull tab inwards and it drops down and wiring unclips from bulb holder. On removing bulb holder, I spotted a problem, the bulb holder on the reverse camera's number plate light fitting was different, it was solid round with no bulb holder location holes. Luckily , I have a dremel type electric hand tool, so I used this to file/make the hole slightly bigger and also to make bulb holder location holes, note one of the holes is bigger/longer than the others, so bulb holder can only go in one way.

Then it was fairly straight forward from this point, I unravelled the wiring I left tied up behind rear bumper skin last week, connected the video cable connector and power cable connector to the reverse camera cables, at this point I did quick test of the camera/wiring to check it was still working ok, which it was, before I taped the connections to secure/protect them and pushed home the reverse camera number plate holder into position, thankfully it was a good fit. Luckily I have fairly small hands and arms, so was able to reach up behind rear metal skin/crash structure to cable tie the reverse camera wiring to original wiring plastic trunking.

The reverse camera in position looks like this :-

I then checked the reverse camera image on the car's screen, which looks like this :-

So, that's it all fitted and working, hope this helps, glad I did it as sister did mention when she got the car it was trickier than her old car to see out the back, so now she got a bit better rear view!

P.S. I did a quick test at night to check how good the image was and pleased to report it was pretty good. I mention this cos I did see a version of the reverse camera with 4 leds, but decided against buying that one as it looked a bit tacky and saw reports that it's leds can be on constantly so didn't want to risk it. Anyways, the reverse camera I got says it is night vision and the car's reverse light will be on as well, so hoped that would be enough to improve the night image and for me it is.

Last edited by Steve107 on Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:48 pm 

Drives: 2015 C1 Feel
Had the same issue with my install. Despite the add claiming it was specifically for a 2014 onwards C1, 208 And Aygo, whilst the lamp unit fits the opening in the bumper, the bulb holder on the car did not fit.

As you have done I dremmelled and filed the hole in the lamp unit out until, the original bulb holder and lamp fitted.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:23 pm 

Dave9_3 wrote:
Had the same issue with my install. Despite the add claiming it was specifically for a 2014 onwards C1, 208 And Aygo, whilst the lamp unit fits the opening in the bumper, the bulb holder on the car did not fit.

As you have done I dremmelled and filed the hole in the lamp unit out until, the original bulb holder and lamp fitted.

Thanks Dave for confirming, I thought I bought a dodgy one, but I re-checked online and they all look the same. As you say, funny that apart from that it fits and works perfectly, I even had a thought I may be able swap the clear plastic parts, but that didn't last long, cos they different sizes and fixings :lol:

Now I know why they sell the camera lamp holders separately, cos if you make a horlicks with your dremel, I usually muck up something when I do things like this, you can buy another.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:05 am 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
Dwksah wrote:
This info about this car is so helpful for me.

I note you give your location as Canada - are the 108/C1/Aygo sold in Canada?

Sadly missed - 2006 Audi RS4 Avant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:06 pm 
Area Rep

Drives: Citroën C1
We have had such an influx revelry of spam posts. Trying to clear them as soon as I can

Alfa Romeo 159 Turismo Sport
Renault 5 Auto