Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:01 pm 

Drives: 2009 C1 Splash
nlel wrote:

Do these systems only alert when they detect seriously under or over inflated tyres or would 1 PSI either way trigger it?

See my earlier post about the different systems.

If it's the cheap one then it only alerts you to a 'significant' drop in pressure. Some will not even tell you which tyre it is.

If it's the sort that gives you individual tyre pressures then you can see what's going on but, again, you only get an alarm when the pressure drops a certain amount (25%, from memory, on a Hyundai for example).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:30 pm 

Drives: C1 2012; 107 2009
If they're too sensitive, they become a bit of a pain. If it's a time of year where temperatures (mornings in particular) can vary a lot, you can get a pressure warning one day and not the next even though you haven't touched the tyres.

And, also, it's the same old story with any sensors, as often as not, the fault can be with the sensor and not the tyre so false alarms and the need to replace sensors are always possibilities.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:07 pm 

The type of Tpms on C1 is Working with the ABS ring and costs nothing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:29 pm 

Good to know.

My wife's Vauxhall Adam must be different. As soon as the weather gets properly cold in the run up to Winter, the tyre pressure warnings start. A bit chilly and one or two may come on; a nice sharp frost and all 4 tyres will send warnings. Later in the day when it's warmed up by a few degrees, all tyres register as fine. :?

My Juke is a little fussy at times, but nothing like the Adam.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:35 pm 

Drives: 2019 Smart Fortwo
Here's good video showing what it looks like when the TPMS is activated on a Smart car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJVl2408E1k

Apparently it only activates when a tyre is 25% off what it is supposed to be and even then it doesn't tell you which tyre is at fault or give you any numbers.

I check mine every two weeks with a Michelin double barrel foot pump which has a digital display and I've never seen the TPMS warning light.

If you do have the warning light you can reset it when you've pumped all tyres up to correct values so it knows that the current values are the correct values.

Air Conditioning
Rear Parking Sensors
White with 15” Alloys

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:21 pm 

25%. So a tyre that is set at 32psi would have to drop below 24 to trigger this. That seems like quite a drop but, on the flip side, my wife's car triggering the TPMS every time we get a cold snap is really annoying and I'm sure that the drop is nowhere near 25%. So, some sort of middle ground would be nice I guess.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 3:01 pm 

Drives: C1 Vibe 5dr 1.0 2008
Another case of a solution looking for a problem and causing more problems than they are worth! :-/

On the wheel torque settings question - I tighten to 100Nm for the steelies for mu 2008 C1 from the Haynes manual and they seem to be fine :-)

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:48 pm 

I guess with some of them only activating when a tyre pressure is 25% lower than it should be it’s only really useful for detecting when you have a puncture.

It’s no replacement for manual tyre pressure checks as a loss of 25% is moderately to severely under inflated.

Don’t want to be driving around thinking everything’s fine because the TPMS warning light isn’t lit. You need to do those regular tyre pressure checks to be sure.

Air Conditioning
Rear Parking Sensors
White with 15” Alloys

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:48 pm 

Did you hear about that Spanish footballer who died in a car crash on Saturday...

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/jose-antonio-reyes-coffin-is-carried-through-the-streets-of-his-hometown-before-funeral-in-spain-as-mourners-pay-tribute-to-former-arsenal-star-who-died-in-car-crash-after-travelling-at-147mph/ar-AACjD8X?ocid=spartanntp

It says "Mundo Deportivo said a preliminary police report into the accident pointed to a blowout as the former Real Madrid loanee was going at more than 70mph above the speed limit as the probable cause of the accident that killed him and a cousin.

It also reported he had not driven the vehicle, one of a fleet of high-powered cars he owned, for several months and the tyre pressure was not what it should have been.

Let that be a warning to you.

Air Conditioning
Rear Parking Sensors
White with 15” Alloys