Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC). - New users please type the text from the Captcha Box as it is written.

It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:42 am 

Drives: Citroen C1
Hey everyone,
I've just this week picked up a 16 plate C1 with just 8000 miles on the clock. I love the little car and use it for mainly commuting to and from work, a lot of which is spent in stop, start motorway traffic.

My question relates to the much discussed clutch. The car hasn't got an overly long clutch cable but the biting point is right at the very top with what feels like little to no free play after the biting point. This results in me feeling like I need to rev it a little harder, release the clutch a little quicker and worries me that it may be damaging the clutch.

Now, I’ve read this is pretty normal due to the cable operated clutch and how to adjust it.

However, if I lengthen/shorten the clutch using the 'rubber screw' does the biting point move with the clutch or stay. My thinking is if it moves with the clutch pedal it might be easier to drive off from a stop I f I shorten the pedal so I don’t have as long before I reach the bite point.

But reading the descriptions I can't decide if what I actually need to do is lengthen the clutch pedal so it sits higher than the brake pedal as this will give some free play as the bite point will remain where it is and the pedal moves out to allow some free play.

For clarity, I have no issues driving the car, it goes in and out of gear perfectly, no strange noises or feelings when driving or changing gear. I've done the 3rd gear test, letting the clutch out and it stalls immediately.

Any advice is really appreciated, I'm hoping I can reduce the pedal length to give me a little more feel but I don't know if this will cause the clutch to not release properly as there is so little free play.

Thanks, sorry for the long winded post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:55 am 

Drives: 2007 107 Urban 5dr
I know exactly what you mean but i dont know how to remedy it exactly so i'm probably not going to be much help. It was the case with the previous shape 1.0 too (i assume yours is the 1.0?) The clutch has a genrally vague feeling and not a very 'defined' biting point. You do get used to it after more driving but i know what you mean, it doesn't feel quite 'right' and makes you question if you are riding it etc, or not.

I drove a 1.2 version of the current C1 and i dont think it had the issue to the same extent, but i'd imagine with it having a different engine, the gearbox would be different too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:46 pm 

Drives: Citroen C1
Thanks, just the reassurance that it isn't just me is good. I've adjusted the clutch so there is not as much travel from the floor to full release and it is much easier to drive, I can now pull away from a stop and creep in traffic without race starts or revving like an eejit. The screw seems to adjust the length of the clutch pedal travel, the bite point moved with it.

No idea if the lack of free play at the top of the clutch will cause an issue further down the road or not but I will let you know if it does.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:36 pm 

Drives: was VTR 2009
Somewhere on this site there is a guide on clutch adjustment - it says there should be something like 25mm free play at the top.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:52 am 

Drives: C max
Billy wrote:
Thanks, just the reassurance that it isn't just me is good. I've adjusted the clutch so there is not as much travel from the floor to full release and it is much easier to drive, I can now pull away from a stop and creep in traffic without race starts or revving like an eejit. The screw seems to adjust the length of the clutch pedal travel, the bite point moved with it.

No idea if the lack of free play at the top of the clutch will cause an issue further down the road or not but I will let you know if it does.

Billy,
you should adjust your clutch, using the under bonnet adjuster, so that there is 20 to 25 mm freeplay, measured at the pedal, when the pedal is at the top of its stroke. You should be able to feel this if you press the the pedal by hand. If you don't have any free play, the clutch plates will not be in full contact with each other and slipping could/will take place. The correct biting point will result from this correct adjustment.
If you have problems selecting gears after this, it is just possible, but unlikely, somebody has altered the clutch pedal height adjuster screw which is located in the footwell. This should be set to give a pedal height from the floor of 130 mm, and should only be adjusted when you have deliberately set the underbonnet clutch cable adjuster to give you a large amount of free play. This freeplay will allow the pedal to rise by spring pressure against the adjuster stop. Then adjust the cable again to give the correct amount of freeplay.