Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Servicing Advice
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:20 am 

Drives: 2007/57 Smart Fortwo
Good Morning,

I bought my car on the 9th June 2015. It had done 15280 miles when I bought it. It was last serviced on the 10th February 2014 at 15134 miles. I don't know whether that was a minor or major service.

I have now done 16046 miles and am wondering when to take it in for its next service and what type major or minor. Can anybody advise what they would do.

Thanks in advance.

Smart Radio 9
Panoramic Sunroof
Luggage Compartment Cover
Softouch Automatic Gear Programme
Bodypanels & Tridion Cell in Silver Metallic
15" Alloy Wheels

Post subject: Re: Servicing Advice
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:34 am 

Drives: 2009 C1 Splash
What does the service book say? Personally, if it's been two years since the last service I'd at least give it an oil change and check the other service items.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:37 am 

Gooders_uk wrote:
What does the service book say? Personally, if it's been two years since the last service I'd at least give it an oil change and check the other service items.

Service book says it was last done on 10th February 2014 at 15134 miles doesn't say what type just says the scope is 1 year. Since it hasn't done much mileage since I don't want to overkill it!

Smart Radio 9
Panoramic Sunroof
15" Alloy Wheels

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:15 am 

Drives: 2009 C1 Splash
Sorry, I should have been clearer. What does the book say about service intervals? Normally one would expect a time/mileage guide such as annually/every 12,000 miles. Given that you do such a low mileage, I'd have thought every two years.

As an aside, it only did 150 miles in nearly 18 months. Wow! I do that on a single journey to my office.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:23 am 

Gooders_uk wrote:

As an aside, it only did 150 miles in nearly 18 months. Wow! I do that on a single journey to my office.

Yeah two different traders owned it at this time, I presume the main dealer sold it on to another trader and I guess it was sitting there on their car lot doing nothing for a long while, which is not surprising as they were asking £ 5995 for it. I got them down to £ 5000 but glass reckoned about £ 4700 from a dealer so there is no way I would have got it for less than that anyway.

Smart Radio 9
Panoramic Sunroof
15" Alloy Wheels

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:17 am 

Drives: 2012 Aygo Fire 5dr.
Probably better asking on the Smart Owners Forum as the owners there probably do a variety of mileage and would be able to advise. I would say a lot of Smart cars are used as tow cars behind campers so some people may have the same concerns over low mileage servicing.

A checklist from a quick Google search came up with this if it's any help:

http://owners.smartusa.com/Maintenance_Schedule.aspx

It's a tough one given how low your yearly mileage is as I've done your annual mileage in two weeks so things like brakes should be fine as you're not braking hard into every corner (hopefully?). If you have the cash, get a garage to change all the filters and fluids for your own peace of mind. I did that with my MX5, £170 all in by a guy who races them, so I knew it was in top health. Good luck.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:24 am 

J15nel wrote:
If you have the cash, get a garage to change all the filters and fluids for your own peace of mind. I did that with my MX5, £170 all in by a guy who races them, so I knew it was in top health. Good luck.

Thanks I have posted this to a number of other Smart related forums and even Yahoo! Answers. Generally the advise is to look in the owners handbook like Gooders_uk says and follow that which obviously I haven't as that's usually 12000 miles or one year.

Best advise I have been given so far is "If in doubt, major (B) is the obvious choice" I was quoted £ 265 + GST for a major B service from the main dealer and will probably go for that.

Probably going to get it done approx. two years after its last service so sometime in February.

Smart Radio 9
Panoramic Sunroof
15" Alloy Wheels

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:29 am 

Drives: 2012 Aygo Fire 5dr.
Two years probably won't harm it, yearly is just more fluids deteriorating. Getting it done at a main dealer means they can give it a health check to ensure essentials are all okay. The brakes are squealing on my car but there's plenty of meat left on the pads and the disks are okay bar a slight lip but she soldiers on!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:34 pm 

Drives: PEUGEOT 107
I have always done at least an oil and filter change every year on all our cars regardless of mileage and check other fluids etc, our 107 has done less than 1,000 miles some years, but still gets serviced every year, like wise with my sister's Ford Fiesta Mk3, at least oil + filter etc done every year and that does less than 3K a year. Probably cos I'm old skool, but I'll stick to annual servicing (oil + filter at least) regardless of what the manufacturers say.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:19 pm 

Drives: 2006 C1
Regarding j15nel squeal that's not hard to cure if the pads and disks are OK as you probably know.

I tend to agree with Neil about the major service, treating it as a fresh start. Unless l could get details from the dealer about the cars service history.

Gregory Isaacs r.i.p.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next