Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:39 pm 

Drives: C1
Brilliant read, Cant wait for more.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:39 pm 

Drives: Peugeot 107
Fascinating stuff! Makes me think about taking mine apart and having a go!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:56 pm 

Drives: 2011 107
Cheers guys. I'll have to update this soon because there's a great deal of stuff happened since the events detailed here.

Re: Taking the carpet out Jack; its pretty easy, its just held in with plastic fasteners which grip a stud in the footwells iirc. The soundproofing isn't so easy, it involved a lot of cutting around the bulkhead in leau of removing the heater and brake servo etc. Most of the weight is in the soundproofing too. I left the rear trim in place as per MSA regs but there will no doubt be some padding hiding behind this too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:04 pm 

Bunkey wrote:
Cheers guys. I'll have to update this soon because there's a great deal of stuff happened since the events detailed here.

Re: Taking the carpet out Jack; its pretty easy, its just held in with plastic fasteners which grip a stud in the footwells iirc. The soundproofing isn't so easy, it involved a lot of cutting around the bulkhead in leau of removing the heater and brake servo etc. Most of the weight is in the soundproofing too. I left the rear trim in place as per MSA regs but there will no doubt be some padding hiding behind this too.

Thanks for the info about the carpet. You've certainly done a good job with it, sounds quick now! I didn't think you could get that kind of performance out of a tiny three cylinder engine! Obviously, you also have the ability to use it to its full potential. Looking forward to the next instalment.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:17 pm 

Bunkey wrote:

Hi Bunkey, I hope everything is good with you, slightly off topic, the piston in my osf brake is stuck. The brake line seems stuck as well so I am struggling to get the caliper out. Is there an easy way to get the piston back in or do I need a new caliper?

Ta,

J

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:11 pm 

Hi, are you using a piston winding tool to push the piston back in? If not they're pretty cheap, about a tenner from Amtech and similar brands. You could also use a g-clamp with a small block of wood to do the same job, or I've used a pair of those plumbing pliers which open wide but careful not to tilt the piston in its bore and jam it.
Helps to undo the cap on the fluid reservoir too so you're not pushing against pressure in the system.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brake-Caliper- ... 446&sr=8-7

If these things dont work then the caliper actually is seized but you'd have noticed that in use first.

As for removing hoses, they're the one thing you really need to clean with a wire brush first and soak with wd40 before attempting - if you're just changing disks and pads though there's really no need to remove the calipers completely; just take the caliper off its bracket via the bolts on the sliders (with rubber boots) and cable tie the caliper hanging from the spring so as not to strain the hose, then remove the bracket that the pads sit in to get the disk off.
If you undo the brake hose to remove the caliper completely you will have to bleed the system through so it's just making more work for yourself.

Ps. Not sure how far along with the stuck caliper you are but I usually have to lever the caliper off the pad assembly once I've removed the bolts on the sliders; using a crowbar against the edge of the disk, then return the piston using the tool above.

Let me know if I need to explain any of this better, cheers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:24 pm 

Bunkey wrote:
Hi, are you using a piston winding tool to push the piston back in? If not they're pretty cheap, about a tenner from Amtech and similar brands. You could also use a g-clamp with a small block of wood to do the same job, or I've used a pair of those plumbing pliers which open wide but careful not to tilt the piston in its bore and jam it.
Helps to undo the cap on the fluid reservoir too so you're not pushing against pressure in the system.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brake-Caliper- ... 446&sr=8-7

If these things dont work then the caliper actually is seized but you'd have noticed that in use first.

As for removing hoses, they're the one thing you really need to clean with a wire brush first and soak with wd40 before attempting - if you're just changing disks and pads though there's really no need to remove the calipers completely; just take the caliper off its bracket via the bolts on the sliders (with rubber boots) and cable tie the caliper hanging from the spring so as not to strain the hose, then remove the bracket that the pads sit in to get the disk off.
If you undo the brake hose to remove the caliper completely you will have to bleed the system through so it's just making more work for yourself.

Hi Bunkey, thanks for getting back to me. I have tried to push it in with a G Clamp, but it just won't go back in! It feels like it has come out completely! This is why I am thinking of taking it off. I think there might be some corrosion in there anyway because it was sticking a lot. I am thinking about taking it off and cleaning it. Not sure if the seals are OK. Do you think this is a plan? I also think the brake fluid needs changing, as I suspect it has been in the system for many years. I have sprayed the nut with WD40. Doesn't look rusty around the nut but it is stuck!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:25 pm 

Sounds like a bit of a nightmare.

Try rocking the piston a bit and repositioning the clamp as it could be that it's just jamming in the bore. You could tap it gently with a small hammer just to shock it loose (not actually trying to hammer it back). It would only come out completely if the brake was pressed with the caliper removed, a lot of brake fluid would then follow. Usually pushing the piston back in with a fresh set of pads frees it up somewhat in use.

If it is the case that the piston is so corroded it's stuck then it would be easier to replace the caliper altogether. There's a good chance the piston would be pitted and not seal properly after cleaning if it were that bad.

Without physically observing it myself its not really something I can advise on but I would suggest that if you're having trouble with the hose to begin with then leave it alone unless you absolutely must take it off. The priority is to try and get the piston back in the caliper so you can fit the new pads - I would focus on getting the thing back together and worry about bleeding the fluid through later.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:38 pm 

Drives: C1
Bunkey
By pushing the piston out on the caliper and not noticing, Could you have the pushed the seals in the master cylinder the wrong way round. Thus not letting piston go back as the fluid has nowhere to go.

if that's the case to prove its not a fluid problem, Open up the bleed nipple and see if it goes in ok.

Just a thought

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:35 pm 

SlackGarry wrote:
Bunkey
By pushing the piston out on the caliper and not noticing, Could you have the pushed the seals in the master cylinder the wrong way round. Thus not letting piston go back as the fluid has nowhere to go.

if that's the case to prove its not a fluid problem, Open up the bleed nipple and see if it goes in ok.

Just a thought

Tried that, opened the nipple and it didn't change anything. Not much came out of the nipple at all.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next