Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:28 pm 

Drives: C1 2008 C1 2011
Eagerly awaiting an update!! Great story.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:35 pm 

Drives: PEUGEOT 107
Great write up again, as you say successful first foray, interesting selection of competitor cars, ironically my Mum's first car was a Hillman Imp and now she has a 107, bound to be a slow start, as you probably playing catch up with more experianced drivers and better tuned cars, but it sounds fantastic fun, so keep it going.

Not surprised the strut brace was big improvement, I fitted a strut top one to my Mondeo V6 many years ago, only for road use, but the cornering improvement was impressive, like on rails, was tempted to fit one to our 107 when saw they did one, even though doesn't really need it for the road, but for what your doing it makes perfect sense.

Best of luck for your next effort, sure more you compete the better you will get.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:01 pm 

Drives: 2011 107
Steve107 wrote:
Great write up again, as you say successful first foray, interesting selection of competitor cars, ironically my Mum's first car was a Hillman Imp and now she has a 107, bound to be a slow start, as you probably playing catch up with more experianced drivers and better tuned cars, but it sounds fantastic fun, so keep it going.

Not surprised the strut brace was big improvement, I fitted a strut top one to my Mondeo V6 many years ago, only for road use, but the cornering improvement was impressive, like on rails, was tempted to fit one to our 107 when saw they did one, even though doesn't really need it for the road, but for what your doing it makes perfect sense.

Best of luck for your next effort, sure more you compete the better you will get.

Steve,

My first car was a 1275 Mini Cooper too :P

I consider the bugs a modern day equivalent, no BS compact people's car; give them 30 years, a few more spec championships (like the C1 Cup) and I bet they'll be a future classic in a similar sense.

I've been racing for a few years but this was my first 'official' excursion and is a recap from 2017 to the present - I like to punch above my weight ;)

I'd recommend the brace for road use, just consider the issues I touched on in the last installment - I also have a few more tricks up my sleeve for improvement to the chassis which I'll be detailing in the next few parts so stay tuned...

Thanks man.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:49 pm 

Part 3

Making a Statement

Forrestburn was a bit of a dream really. The layout was altogether more interesting, offering the opportunity to put on my dancing shoes and really throw some shapes.
With the revisions I had already made to the handling I came into this one a lot more confident that I could put in a representitive performance.

It would be the standard format I was now familiar with - practice in the morning , timed runs in the afternoon - and as per my usual form I was the last competitor to arrive.
No time to walk the track then. I think I got 2 runs in the morning.

The layout had a lot of opportunities to gain, or lose, precious tenths. After a nerve-racking blind crest, the opening esses were all about getting the line right -
almost flat in the 107 with an appropriately timed dab of lift-off oversteer to set the car correctly at the apex. This led into a tight square left hairpin reminiscent of Fintray where
braking was critical to avoid going deep and traction on exit would be paramount to propelling the car into the tight sweeping section which followed.

Less haste, more speed.

As a musician there are parallels which can be drawn to driving fast - If you rush the performance of a piece of music it will fall apart very quickly and sound amaturish.
For it to work, the notes have to fall where they are supposed to fall in time regardless of how eager you are to play them. Brake here, turn in here.
Then, once you find that groove, you become present in the hundredths and not just the seconds; feeling out the rhythm and sustaining that note as long as possible - before you hit the brakes.

Get it right and driving on the utmost limit is the calmest place you can be.

I was enjoying this one. The change of location brought with it a host of new faces to gawk at too. MX-5's, 205's, a 2-Eleven and even a Noble M12.
Competition in my class was pretty sparse with just the 1360cc Saxo of Laura Ramsay to contend with but alas I was here to please only myself.

Practice complete and a chance to recap - I was just skirting 1 minute and so my objective for the afternoon became clear - I would not leave happy until I'd broken the 60 second mark!

Fuelled by grilled meat and focused on what I must do, the wind picked up as if stirred by the fire I had brewing inside. Where were my Rennies?

We lined up and the timed runs commenced...

I managed to fit a GoPro for this meeting, offering an accurate account of my fastest timed run to reflect upon later.
Given my lack of track knowledge - I was a bit cautious at the crest and then went for the following apex a little early, had to scrub a bit of speed and nearly ran wide,
picking up a bit of grass in the process. It was messy but committed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YknsrzdzVHk

More importantly however, it was 59.44 seconds - within my personal target and just 3 seconds off the all time 1400cc class record.
I recalled Fintray and how I was a full 2 seconds down by the first split due to my straight line speed defecit alone..

The results came in.

I'd taken the win by a sizeable margin as well as beating a good fistful of MX-5's, Clio's and the like from the faster categories.

Yep, despite the errors I'd made in the run, I could be happy with this pace!

We made the long drive home into the sunset to put a finish on this fairytale day.

Refurnishing

After Forrestburn I got talking to a friend of mine who, it transpired, had an old Sparco Rev bucket seat that'd been kicking about his house for a while.
He agreed to letting me fit it in the 107 to see what like. You'd be surprised how heavy a standard seat on rails is - especially with an airbag hidden in the side!
Fortunately the sparco with its fiberglass shell and solid side mounts bolted right into the chassis where the original rails had been.

Much racecar. Such purpose.

If you've never sat in a racing seat bolted straight to the floor - let me tell you it is an experience! It offers a tactile connection to what the chassis underneith you is doing
like you couldn't imagine. Well worth the bruised hips I endured for the first few weeks whilst it broke in.

Along with this I made a switch panel from 2mm wet-lay carbon to blank the gaping orifice which had once housed the stereo.

I think before this point the car was having a bit of an identity crisis - People don't exactly look at a 107 and associate it with what I'm trying to achieve,
It was a confusing transition. With the addition of the seat and stripped back dashboard, it definitely took a step in the right direction from tack to track.

As I do far more miles on the road than I do in competition I also went to the effort of mounting a new stereo and amplifier on a removable plinth which sat in the back and offered
a bit of entertainment when I wasn't hunting lap times. As somewhat of an audio connoisseur, Vibe speakers and amplifiers are.. not the best.. but still vastly superior to the standard
speakers they replaced. The whole system unplugs and lifts right out when not in use.

The removal of the rear seats was again a step in the right direction and shifted the car's balance further to oversteer as I touched on in the last update.
Unfortunately this change wasn't permitted in the standard road car class which required all interior trim to be fitted, so I'd have to reinstall the seats when competing
in the upcoming hillclimb round - My second meeting at Fintray...

Stay tuned!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:36 am 

Drives: Pug 107 2007
Very good writing and really useful info! Induction change was interesting.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:56 pm 

TomiKoo wrote:
Very good writing and really useful info! Induction change was interesting.

Thanks man, I just write as if I were talking to myself really :lol:

Its worth playing around with these things - I've only tried the 2 approaches to the induction system, you may well find something which works even better.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:58 pm 

Well I just got an email from photobucket to inform me that as of June this year they will no longer be hosting these images on a free-to-use basis. Bummer.
TBH though the photobucket site, however popular, feels inherently broken and as though one stray click could accidentally propel me into an abyss of targeted advertising, data mining and identity fraud.

Needless to say, I shall not be paying to use the service.

With this in mind - Could anybody suggest an alternative image hosting platform that I can use to embed the images here?

Many Thanks
Ben

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:27 am 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
Bunkey wrote:
Could anybody suggest an alternative image hosting platform that I can use to embed the images here?

I've switched to using imgur.com

Sadly missed - 2006 Audi RS4 Avant

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:16 pm 

Drives: PEUGEOT 107
Same here, I switched to imgur from photobucket after their first blocking effort.

In last few months I had few emails from photobucket trying get me to upgrade saying 'storage running out' etc, so I just deleted all my photos, as all mine are 'offline' anyway, I just want a 'hosting' site for when I upload to website, so it conforms to acceptable format. For me photobucket was getting very slow as well, imgur been a lot less hassle to use.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:53 pm 

Looks like their attempts to monetize the platform are backfiring considerably :lol: