Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:38 pm 

Drives: 2006 Pug 107 1.0
Enjay wrote:
Cookeh wrote:
£40 is the going rate for a decent wash, wax, and interior clean in her local area. £100+ would include paint correction...

I enquired about a full paint correction for a different car last year. I was quoted £350 for their basic service!

Depends on level of correction, number of stages, amount and type of defects, what protection is applied afterwards. £100 covered a single pass with an AIO. Naturally an AIO wont correct heavy defects, nor will a single pass, so as you can imagine the hours and hence price start the climb quite quickly from there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:27 pm 

Drives: PEUGEOT 107
Enjay wrote:
Cookeh wrote:
£40 is the going rate for a decent wash, wax, and interior clean in her local area. £100+ would include paint correction...

I enquired about a full paint correction for a different car last year. I was quoted £350 for their basic service!

Wow!, my Stepdad's 15 year old Astra probably worth half that if anything :cry: , and he got smacked in car park the other year so no amount paint correction will sort that :lol: , so I'll stick with me bucket n washmit, but to be fair it is a solid and reliable thing, even if bit of a shed!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:40 pm 

Drives: C1 Vibe 5dr 1.0 2008
Hey Cookeh, the headlights aren't great, but really benefit from a pair of Osram Night Breaker Laser H4s - circa £10 and well worth it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:27 pm 

Worth noting, thanks. If I still have the car come next winter when it's dark again I'll definitely look into them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:56 pm 

It took a while - between waiting for the sealant to cure and for a long enough gap in the weather - but I'm pleased to announce the crapbox finally has a clean exterior(ish!).

Still lots to do, especially with regards to some weird contaminants (more on that shortly) and the many paint defects. Could do with a proper LSP too, only got CarPlans No1 Super Gloss on it at the minute; though I have been very impressed with its performance over winter on both my 850 and the fiancees Rolla.

The car was filthy, so I jumped straight into pre-cleaning with Power Maxed TFR at 10%. There was no protection on this car so I was far from worried about stripping LSP at this conc. I am, as I always am, impressed by just how effective TFR is. Highly recommend everyone gets some to use as a pre-rinse. 5% conc will have a huge impact on dirt and will be safe for your wax/sealant. Some before and afters of various parts pre- and post-TFR:

Imagens by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImageNS after TFR by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr

Imagensr by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImageRear after TFR by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr

Arches on these were properly minging. Still are to be honest, really need a good scrub and some tar remover - never seen so much tar! That will have to wait for another day, however. Not least because I'm fresh out of tar remover after using what little I had on the bodywork.

ImageRear arch preclean by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImageOSR after TFR by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr

ImageFront arch preclean by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImageNSF after TFR by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr

ImagePetrol cap preclean by alistair.hurrell, on FlickrImagePetrol cap cleaned by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr

With that done I applied a coat of snowfoam - Auto Finesse's Avalanche to be precise - so that I could get into the gutters, around the lights and panel gaps in greater detail. If I'm honest I don't like Avalanche. I don't find it has much cleaning power and its cling time isn't particularly impressive (possibly because unless I double up the concentration its pretty thin). Much prefer Magifoam or Blizzard, but I don't tend to do much snowfoaming anymore - low conc TFR has replaced it.

Obligatory foamed picture:
ImageSnowfoamed by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr

and then the cleaned gutters. Could do with tar remover here of all places too to get them perfect.
ImageGutters cleaned by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr

After that it was on to a contact wash. I actually didn't use 2BM on this occasion, opting for a single bucket with a couple of mitts (one for top half, one for bottom) and rinsing the mitt as I went along. I figured that after TFR and a snowfoam there wouldn't be much left to do any damage, as inspired by the Forensic Detailing Channel. What was left, however, was an awful lot of contamination:

ImageContaminants by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr

There was also this weird contaminant pictured below. I tried clay, tar remover (what little I had!), and a glue/sap remover. None of them touched it. Any ideas what it is or how to remove it? Its all over the front bumper. Tempted to get some 2K thinners and try that, looks sort of like overspray of some sort from fencing?

ImageWeird bumper residue by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr

To tackle the contaminants I used the tiny bit of tar remover I had left, as well as a fallout remover, then clay. Here's some bleeding shots:

ImageBonnet fallout by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImageOSR door fallout by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImageNSR quarter fallout by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr

For a bit of a giggle I also applied it to one of the corroded wheels:
Imagewheel fallout by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr

After all that, drying, and using the aforementioned sealant, I was left with something sort of respectable.

ImageCleaned and fallout wheels by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImagePost spray sealant by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr

The paint on this thing is dreadful. Just the quality from the factory for a start, colour match between bumpers and door is shocking; the bonnet and wings are different shades, despite both being factory and original; the paint all round is oxidising and fading to a pretty high degree, which is not at all commensurate with a car this young - heck my 850 (twice the age!) still has no issues with either of those! Once cleaned I could also properly see all the damage inflicted to it. Guess I need to invest in some sick-up coloured touch-up paint...

ImageNSR arch dmg by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20190311_151413 by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20190311_151436 by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImageUntitled by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImageOSF scuff by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImageWing mirror scuff by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImageWing stonechip by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
There are 4 of these stonechips that are starting to rust quite badly. Must do something about those at some point, as cheaply as possible of course!

I also saw this bit of contamination on the roof, again I cant figure out what it is and nothing I have touched it. Any ideas? It's textured, sits up over the surface so isn't clearcoat damage I don't think?

ImageWeird roof residue by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr

Definitely more to come to get this thing up to my standards, still not in love with it though. Appreciate its fuel returns and the aux in, but that's about it for now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:32 pm 

Drives: 2007 107 Urban 5dr
Im not sure how i feel about this thread. I might just be being 'triggered' but like.....as a fellow 107 owner (for past 9 years).....(whos car in places is probably in poorer condition than yours)....i dont like it when people say they're rubbish....'cos theyre not!

I think it's a very decent thing you've got there...and i hope you grow to appreciate it :)

(Also, just catching up thread in more detail, the bulb can be changed without removing the battery. It's a biatch to access yes..but it can be done)

Dont see many yellow ones either. Embrace it!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:19 pm 

Drives: C1 2012; 107 2009
Loads of work going into cleaning this one up. It's looking so much better than those first pics that you posted Cookeh.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:40 pm 

Drives: C1 2008 C1 2011
Have been lurking on this forum for some time now,finally registered,and now my first post. I live in Belgium btw.
Will put up a thread about my two c1s soon.

But just wanted to say that i really enjoy this thread,very entertaining reading,great pictures,and it has provided some very informative "discussions" so far.
I am looking forward to more installments!!!

Greetz,

Steven.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:30 am 

Drives: C1 2012; 107 2009
Now that I'm looking at it on my PC instead of my phone, I can see the contaminant better. It does indeed look like it might be fence preservative overspray.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:21 pm 

Drives: C1 2008
Hello,

I saw your picture of the rear arch and it looks as if there is a big difference to my car.
Attachment:
20190316_144356590_iOS.jpeg
20190316_144356590_iOS.jpeg [ 1.79 MiB | Viewed 1353 times ]

My car has a bolt in the hole and I could not see this bolt in your picture. This lt seems quite important.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next