Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:38 pm 

Drives: 2006 C1
Lots of owners would love to have a car that's just dirty. It appears you are taking us through an album of your auto valet skills,why? Give the car to the valeter. Pay your money job done.
Clip the bumper back on or maybe it needs a new piece £6-10 on Ebay. We can help with that or videos on YouTube. Service and MOT. Nice hubcaps.
Your story will be told. And l hope the MPG is better.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:07 pm 

Drives: C1 Vibe 5dr 1.0 2008
Ha, I think that we are being wound up! :-)

My daughter's car is a skip - she just uses it as an extension of her bedroom/handbag/shed. I get medieval on the interior with a vacuum cleaner, brush with Halfords upholstery cleaner (it's good stuff) and a Bissell carpet cleaner, then Scotchgard on an annual basis to keep the squalor down to an acceptable level. Maccies wrappers, clothes, bags of partially used fire wood (she's an Explorer Scout Leader) - there may be things living in there! Mechanically, I make sure that it is sound - but Cookeh's sister sounds pretty typical ;-)

As for owning a C1 - well, it depends what you want from it. I've got a 2008 Vibe (135k), so things don't get any more basic. It reminds me of the original Mini - backside on the floor, noisy and fun. It is mechanically simple and I use it as a platform to teach my children about how to look after their cars. Parts are cheap and plentiful on eBay - example, three s/h coils for £30. My son was signposted to a C1 (Code - very nice) after writing his previous car off and I'm teaching him to service and look after it - he's about to swap the front discs. So, simple, cheap to run and easy to look after.

On the driving side - it kinda depends on what you want from it. I've had some very fast cars - my all time favourite has to be the mid-nineties BMW 323i; beautifully balanced and the complete package (for me, don't want to start an argument). I recently took my C1 on the North Coast 500 as part of a recce for cycling it at some point. For those that don't know, this starts at Inverness, runs up to Thurso, across the top to Durness and down the West Coast back to Inverness. Lots of twisty, single track, road through stunning scenery up hill and down dale and I had a ball in the C1! Yes, you have to keep the revs up for the little triple to work, but that's part of the fun - you have to drive it well, get the lines and braking right and keep the momentum up. It helps if you have decent tyres (Goodyears in my case) rather a a different synthetic rubber cheapie in each corner and the car bounces around a bit because it's got a short wheelbase and doesn't weigh anything. I felt like I was going a lot faster than I actually was - like being in a go cart and came away grinning and driving my C1 a lot better :-)

Not a motorway cruiser - I tend to trundle along at 60mph in deference to it's mileage, age and my ears. I'm going to invest on £30 worth of underlay when the weather is dryer, which should improve the acoustics :-)

I think Cookeh's little flying banana is going to grow on him - will watch with interest ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:55 pm 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
MPJ wrote:
I think Cookeh's little flying banana is going to grow on him - will watch with interest ;-)

These cars have that effect on most owners :D

Sadly missed - 2006 Audi RS4 Avant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:29 pm 

Drives: C1 2012; 107 2009
brixtonboy wrote:
It appears you are taking us through an album of your auto valet skills,why? Give the car to the valeter. Pay your money job done.

I can't speak for Cookeh but, personally, I actually enjoy cleaning my cars. If I get one that needs a bit of cleaning when I first buy it, I really get a kick out of putting the work in and seeing the result.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:53 pm 

Enjoy glad to read you like cleaning cars mines somewhat dirty at the moment. The water leak is taking all my time and l'm just wait and wanting to get Jacky under cover again. New rear lamp is here.
Big scratch N/S front bumper to touch up and then it's your turn.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:46 pm 

Drives: 2006 Pug 107 1.0
brixtonboy wrote:
And get on with cleaning it up.

brixtonboy wrote:
It appears you are taking us through an album of your auto valet skills,why? Give the car to the valeter. Pay your money job done.

First you want it cleaned, now you're whinging about it being cleaned. Man oh man, you are hard to please. Would not want to be your wife!

The whole point of subjecting myself to this car is to save money, why would I then go and spend that on a valet? Especially when I can do as good a job and already have all the materials present. Fun fact, 3 weeks ago my sister paid £40 for a "valet" - this is the state of it after that. So no pathetic poor quality valets for me, thanks.

Plus, as Enjay says, its quite nice to see the turnaround for yourself. Furthermore, I take pride in the things that I own (normally), which means I take care of them.

Noticed on the way to uni this morning that a sidelight bulb is out, will have to do something about that for legal reasons. Headlights are also truly pathetic, like having a candle in front of a mirror. May have to do something about that but then its getting closer to spring and summer so perhaps can push that expense for a while and keep on spending nothing on it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:05 pm 

£40 for a valet no way. A quick car wash and an even quicker hoover with a Dyson maybe, but no valet.
A proper valet costs well over a 100 Euro here. With no guarantees that the scrapes come out, can only tell from your photos.
Anyway l wish you luck with your studies. And hopefully over time you're baby car will get a name.
My girlfriend loves me dearly. My wife said F.O. Years ago so l did.
I never get personal on these forums. Don't do that it pisses me off big time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:16 am 

Drives: 2006 Pug 107 1.0
brixtonboy wrote:
£40 for a valet no way. A quick car wash and an even quicker hoover with a Dyson maybe, but no valet.
A proper valet costs well over a 100 Euro here. With no guarantees that the scrapes come out, can only tell from your photos.
Anyway l wish you luck with your studies. And hopefully over time you're baby car will get a name.
My girlfriend loves me dearly. My wife said F.O. Years ago so l did.
I never get personal on these forums. Don't do that it pisses me off big time.

£40 is the going rate for a decent wash, wax, and interior clean in her local area. £100+ would include paint correction, which is not something she would have paid for - though it may be something I undertake myself. As for me paying even more money for a valet when I'm both capable of doing it myself and already have the products makes even less sense. Remember, the sole purpose of this shoebox is to save money. The rear bumper scuff looks like rubber and paint transfer, it should come out in the most part. Front scratch is gouged out and needs filling and blending in. Some of the larger paint defects will not be correctable and would require respray - this is not within the budget and nor does it make sense on a car that's worth as little as these are now.

I'm not quite sure what part of the previous post was personal, I'm sorry that you feel that way. "I'd hate to be your wife" is a commonly used idiom in the UK. That the line turned out to be true is sheer coincidence, and not at all something I could possibly have known. Indeed I don't know anything about your background or personal life.

On the topic of the Pug, replaced the blown sidelight bulb last night. Access, as I should have expected in a car with as small a profile as this was rather limited. I had to remove the battery and the battery ground strap in order to get sufficient space to twist the bulb holder out. Still, given that's only 3 bolts its hardly a big deal, more a minor inconvenience. The blown bulb was one of the chrome capped examples. The other sidelight bulb was just a standard bulb and so I replaced the chromed one with a spare I had lying around at home. I was not about to spend £4 on a bulb that is not seen, definitely not going to spend £8 and replace a good bulb just to have two matching bulbs that wouldn't be seen either.

I also tried to adjust the clutch cable as I have no free play, managed to find the adjuster but I was only capable of rotating it through one turn - which naturally made no difference. Is there some sort of locking pin or similar on there that I could not see?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:32 am 

I see the car has electric windows maybe A/C if so you might find easier access from underneath.
Lots of videos on YouTube.
S**t l'm giving advice again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:28 pm 

Drives: C1 2012; 107 2009
Cookeh wrote:
£40 is the going rate for a decent wash, wax, and interior clean in her local area. £100+ would include paint correction...

I enquired about a full paint correction for a different car last year. I was quoted £350 for their basic service!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next