Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:54 pm 

Drives: 2006 Pug 107 1.0
Evening,

Got offered my sisters 56 plate Pug 107 for free on the basis that it was utterly filthy inside, the paint was in bad condition and it was 20k overdue a service. She was going to PX it until the offer was £200. The plan now is I use it to cut down my commuting fuel cost (for those that don't know my main car is an 850 T5 that gets a whopping 27mpg on my commute).

Anyway, without further ado, I present to you the hateful shoebox. This car will not be named, it does not deserve personification.

Imagensf by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
Imagens by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
Imagensr by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr

It is, without a doubt, the worst car I have ever driven or been driven in. I've owned it for two days. I hate it. This will probably not be a popular opinion, especially on this forum! :lol:
The 3cyl 1.0 engine is utterly gutless, requiring constant downshifting to maintain progress on even the slightest of gradients - even at 70mph on the motorway, slight incline and you lose 5mph immediately. In neutral the whole car vibrates, and the noise out of such a small engine is frankly ridiculous - it is far louder than anything I've owned and rattlier than a diesel.
The clutch has a ridiculous bite point, less than 2cm from the top of the clutch pedals travel - which is why, combined with a lack of a footrest, the typical clutch life in these cars is about 15k. Pathetic.
Anything about 50mph deafens you with road noise as the 3mm thick interior carpet is quite literally the only sound insulation on the floorpan. You can actually see this in a later picture, where the carpet is starting to wear through as it presses against a frame rail.
On the subject of ergonomics, there isn't any. Seat backs can be adjusted up and down in a small range, and the seat slides back and forth but thats it. The steering wheel, like the backs, can be adjusted slightly up and down but does not feature telescopics. Getting comfortable in this car for anything more than an hours drive is impossible if you're a normal sized human. The seats themselves have no bolsters and no support and are actually the most uncomfortable seat I've been in.

You'd think this would be bad enough, but no, my particular example only features 2 speakers located in the dash, which are not powerful enough to drown out the road noise but are terrible enough to make you wish they weren't there anyway. All this, despite being the middle-spec option! I'd hate to wonder what the base spec has. We have no A/C, no glovebox lid and manual mirrors, but at least we have an aux in and 4 cupholders; every cloud and all that.

As I'm sure you can see, it is truly worthless. In terms of the exterior, there is that aforementioned paint condition.

On top of numerous instances of fading (its not single stage, weirdly), etching, and watermarks, this car has been scraped multiple times. Once it even knocked a wall down - seriously. The steel wheels are also badly corroded, but I'll take the blame for this. I painted them as a present for my sis 4 years ago, but after stripping back the old paint I never used an etch primer, using normal primer instead... Whoopsie.

ImageCorroded steelies example by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
Imageosf scrape by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
Imageosr scrape by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImagePaint defect by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImageBad bumper fitment by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr

It has had a boot leak for years now, literally years. This recently got 'fixed' in a recall last Mon - which apparently means I can't wash it for a while. Bugger. I used " ' " as I highly doubt this will actually fix the leak, but ah well.

The exterior, however, was not the worst part. No no no, that belongs to the interior. This car was used as a daily driver by someone not interested in cars and who happened to own a 40kg Old English Sheepdog. The backseats, where Jasper (the dog) lived, were covered in dog hair, the carpets and seats saturated with mud and sand, not to mention all the nose art on the windows. In fact, the interior was so bad it will get an entire post of its own, and after 2 days its still not completely done!

In terms of plans for this thing, I don't really want to spend a penny on it. Going to give it the service its long overdue (£52 for oil, filter, air filter, and spark plugs!!), and clean it within an inch of its life but really that is all I want to do. It is here as a money saver, so whats the point spending?! I *might* upgrade the lousy dash speakers, just to maintain some degree on sanity on my commute, but we'll see. I *might* fix the broken mirror adjustment, if I can be arsed or if anyone actually knows of a fix. Beyond that, I'm just going to track fuel expenditure, how much I'm saving and and just fix things as they break.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:13 pm 

Drives: C1 VTR 2011, Grey
Thanks for a good read! I am looking forward to the next installment. :)

Drives C1 VTR 2011

Used to drive C1 Vibe 2007

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:18 pm 
Club Founder

Drives: Was C1 1.0 2005
Cookeh wrote:
Going to give it the service its long overdue (£52 for oil, filter, air filter, and spark plugs!!).

Buy the official club kit, it's cheaper than that and all great quality. £39.99 inc

https://citybugstore.co.uk/best-sellers ... 05-13.html

It's a super budget car, all the things you hate are by design. I think you'll come to love it though.

The NEW improved CityBugStore! - For all your C1, 107, 108 and Aygo needs. Support the club! Club Members Discount, enter code C1OC at checkout

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:08 pm 

Drives: Aygo Black & STI
A service, exterior & Interior detail and a new set of wheel trims and she'll be a good un :wave:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:18 pm 

Drives: 2006 Pug 107 1.0
Righto, onto the interior of this heap. You may recall I said it was filthy? Yes, well, that and some.

We'll start with the general crap and detritus in the stowage bins:
ImageStowage bin dirt 2 by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImageStowage bin dirt by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImageDirty glovebox by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr

Now I know what you're all thinking, it's not that bad, I'm just being a drama queen. Well, scroll on.

Next up we'll go for the centre console:
ImageDirty dash vents by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImageDirty stereo by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImageDirty centre console by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImageNasty handbrake trim by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
I believe Tosh mentioned a sugary experience with Coke? Yes, this heap is familiar with that too.

ImageDirty speedo by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImageDirty knob by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
Mmm, skin and human slime.
ImageDirty indicator crap by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
Slime? Make-up? Something else?

Okay, getting a bit worse, floormats and seats next:
Imagensf mat by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImageRear seat hinge dirt 3 by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
Is that sand? I hate sand.
ImageRear bench dirt by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
More sand, and dog hair. Great. I hate sand AND I hate dog hair.
ImageRear bench dirt 2 by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
More? Lovely.
ImageRear bench dirt 3 by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
Again? What is this, a BOGOF offer?
At this point I elected to remove the rear bench (rear uprights slightly trickier, couldn't be bother in the rain).
ImageRear seat hinge dirt 2 by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
Sex? In this car? About this car? Either way, just no.
ImageRear seatbelts dirty 2 by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
20p, wahey! This car has cost me -£0.20 so far, saving money already :lol:
ImageRear seatbelts dirty by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
More sand. Top stuff. Can go to the beach without ever leaving my drive... if this heap ever deserved to be parked in the drive that is. But it belongs on the street, with all the other trash.
ImageDirty seat sides by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
Quick trip to the front, with more sand and dust. Excellent.
ImageBoogers by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
What on earth is this? Both sides of the seat? Looks like boogers or ear wax? I did actually confront my sis about this. She's adamant it wasn't her, told her to check her fiancee's seat and see if its his. I mean, it's someones right?! :mad:

Fair enough, plenty of you have probably seen worse but this is the nastiest I've dealt with. What I wanted to do was park it on an enemies drive and torch it, what I actually did was break out some APC, some mf cloths, a magic eraser and the trusty Vax 2000 that I adopted off my parents when they got a Dyson 8 years ago - the Vax is almost as old as me, still works flawlessly.

What followed next was about two hours of vacuuming, and about an hour on cleaning the door cards (or is that just doors in this case?) and centre console. I haven't gotten round to actually cleaning the carpets or seats with upholstery cleaner yet. This Saturday I think, weather permitting.

Onto the afters then, shall we? First up, the floors - easy enough with a vacuum, upholstery brush and some APC for the pedals:
ImageCleaned osf by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImageCleaned nsf by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImageCleaned nsr by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImageCleaned osr by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
See in the area beneath the accelerator pedal? Where the carpet is a lighter shade? That is the aforementioned floorpan/frame rail wearing through the 3mm carpet.

Next up, that rear bench area. Again, lots of vacuuming, all 8 sections of a folded mf and a whole lot of APC. I found a small nylon brush to be excellent for the areas around the seatbelts:

ImageClean rear floorpan by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImageClean rear seatbelts 3 by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImageRear seatbelts clean by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr

Going to attack this with some Hammerite to hide and protect the rust a bit, as well as adding a bit of wax to the metal in a pointless bid to protect that.

Penultimately the console area and doorcards (doors?), again copious vacuuming, plenty mfs and APC:
ImageClean doorcards by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImageCleaned dash vents by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImageCleaned stereo by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImageClean seatbelt by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImageClean centre console 2 by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImageClean handbrake trim by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr

Lastly, that booger infested seat? Yeah, couldn't leave that until Saturday. Halfords Upholstery Cleaner, stiff bristled brush and the VAX dealt with it:
ImageNo more boogers by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImageClean seat sides by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr

Definitely not perfect, but not a biohazard anymore and doesn't quite reek as much anyway. Needs a protectant, probably Autoglyms VRT on Sat. We also knocked the first little 'project' off in the form of the gaitor. Was collapsed and flopping way down on the frame:
ImageCollapsed gaitor by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr

Turns out it was missing a little rubber sleeve (sitting in the centre console oddly), which helps grip it and stop it sliding. Put that back on the stick, removed and re-installed the gaiter and voila:
ImageGaiter fixing by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr
ImageGaiter fixed by alistair.hurrell, on Flickr

Okay, it looks ridiculous - massive wide gearknob abruptly ending and then a tiny skinny gaitor starting, but nothing I can do about that. Just another crap bit of design.

Roll on Saturday so I can get in the car without overalls... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:26 pm 

Drives: 14 Plate Peugeot 107
Impressive improvement. Goes to show how much difference a couple of hours of essentially basic cleaning can make.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:26 am 

Drives: 2006 C1
Please stop moaning. And get on with cleaning it up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:18 am 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
OP will be amazed to learn that until 2016 as well as my Citroen C1 (which I sill own) I owned an Audi RS4 Avant - why did I enjoy driving most?

Neither! - I loved them both for different reasons, here's why...

The RS4 had ridiculous performance (more than a Volvo 850 T5...) and just "went" but without too much real "driving" and you could never be in the wrong gear as the torque band was 600rpm to 8600rpm (yes really!). The stability system made sure you could safely be a hooligan without crashing or spinning.

The C1 is an "old school" driving experience where you have to listen and feel what the engine and gearbox are telling you, do that and learn how to maintain momentum and it becomes a n excellent way to hone your driving skills. The lack of electronics means you can control the car right to the limits (a 4 wheel drift can be real fun - and achievable at low speeds).

Sadly missed - 2006 Audi RS4 Avant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:21 am 

Drives: C1 2012; 107 2009
Heh, that was a wild ride. Very entertaining. :lol:

I've had cars that were in a worse condition* as a starting point but which gave me years of good service after spending some time, money and elbow grease on them. I quite like starting with a "fixer upper" and then seeing my friends' looks of disbelief when they realise they are looking at the same car they slagged off weeks/months earlier. :D

*Including the one that the previous owner had used to keep pigs in - I kid you not!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:21 am 

Drives: PEUGEOT 107
Nice work, although sad to see in that state, it good to see that even our little cheap n cheerful cars can be used and abused and come out the other side looking half decent. Impressed with the interior good to see the cheap plastics, seats and carpets can take years of punishment and with some elbow grease prove you can polish a t*rd!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next