Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Clutch Adjustment
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:35 am 
Tech Guru

Drives: 2014 C1 Air
Ther are two clutches fitted, those previous to 2007 and those after. You have the better 190mm clutch.

Post subject: Re: Clutch Adjustment
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:36 pm 

Drives: C1 2006
People are saying to do this if the clutch is slipping. what is ment by this. I have started having trouble getting my car into gear, could this solve my problem??
Please Help, if I have to replace clutch it will cost 700
Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:42 pm 

Ive just posted about problems getting into gear. Ive also noticed a rattle (possible a knocking sound) when i put the clutch down. It doesn't happen when clutch up or driving or in neutral. Any ideas??

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:47 pm 
Tech Guru

Hi Phelix,

If it's difficult to get into gear, the clutch is dragging. The opposite of slipping.

When the clutch is slipping, the engine revs will rise whilst the speed doesn't. The test for slipping is to stick the car in 3rd, apply the handbrake, and give the motor some revs, then bring the clutch up. If the revs rise with the clutch up, and the car stationary, the clutch is slipping. If the engine stalls pretty rapidly, the clutch isn't slipping.

If you've got a clattering with the clutch down , then it does sound like the thrust bearing is on it's way. It could go for ages in this state though !

Try adjusting the clutch (there's details in a previous post on which direction to turn the adjuster) to see if matters improve.

How old is the car? How many miles?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:00 pm 

will try this and see. clutch is a very high biting point tho. what is 'thrust bearing', where is it?
I have a 55 plate so feb 2006 and ive done on average 10000 miles a year so just over 60000 miles.
thanks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:27 pm 

ive have just been out to my car a reved the engine as suggested. As i lifted the clutch (fairly high) i could hear the revs dropping as if the car will stall (i dont have rev counter). so i dont think clutch is slipping, does this mean my clutch probably needs replacing?
I look for the place to adjust the pedal but I could find it. i was stretching down the cables with I believe them to be but i can only react so far. is it easy to get to but not see or is it difficult to get to as well?
Any help really appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:21 pm 
Tech Guru

Have a read through this thread in it's entirety, the knob is a difficult thing to find, but once you have it , you'll know .. It's under the gear selection cables more to the right hand side (as you're looking at the car)

The thrust bearing is on the end of the clutch actuation arm inside the clutch housing itself, it's a gearbox off job, and while you've got that apart, you may as well fit a clutch ....

You're doing better than most with that clutch, it'll be an "early" type. The bearings are a known weak point :(

Your clutch may be goosed, but I'd still spend some time trying to adjust it ... btw £700 is expensive ....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:23 pm 
Tech Guru

Incidentally, the bearing is also (more accurately called) the clutch release bearing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:28 pm 

ok, ive research and i believe sorting clutch will sort bearing.
the adjustment, it says its near the gear box so is it under the car or can i get to it from under the bonnet?

I was thinking 700 was a lot. I have had it done once under warranty already.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:47 pm 
Tech Guru

Ah, so it's not it's first clutch ...

Under the bonnet on the right hand side between the battery and the head, you'll see the top of the gearbox, with the gear selection cables. The clutch cable, and it's adjuster are underneath the right hand gear selector cable, towards the rear of the bracket these cables fit to, you'll find the adjuster know. It's a plastic, nut shaped thing. It can be a bitch to move. Getting someone to push the clutch pedal down helps, but mind your fingers are clear when they do.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next