Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: Clutch Adjustment
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:29 pm 

Drives: C1
brixtonboy wrote:
I don't know if this this is relevant, but I was told while reading about clutch adjustments that you could always try it from underneath the car. That way the pipes don't get in the way.
Has anyone tried this approach?

Yes that,s the way ive just done it. Two hands from underneath. tried from the top 1st but coudnt got any purchase on it.

Get it up on ramps, Then from underneath you can pull the cable back slightly and the nut moves easily away from the pin.

Thanks for the suggestions and help. Clutch should last longer now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:26 am 

Drives: Peugeot 107
martinsalharris wrote:
There are an awful lot of misleading comments on this thread. The key is to give yourself a bit of slack in the cable so that the locking pin disengages. The best way to do this is to use a large screwdriver to level between the gearbox housing and the arm that connects the cable to the clutch. This is the bit that you see moving under the bonnet when someone pushes the pedal. If you lever this back a bit with your right hand then it slacks the cable and allows the big adjustment nut to move back (with the outer cable) and so it disengages from the pin and turns easily with your left hand.

Hi, probably a silly question, but which way would I need to push the screwdriver against the arm? Also is it likely to break?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:32 am 

SlackGarry wrote:
brixtonboy wrote:
I don't know if this this is relevant, but I was told while reading about clutch adjustments that you could always try it from underneath the car. That way the pipes don't get in the way.
Has anyone tried this approach?

Yes that,s the way ive just done it. Two hands from underneath. tried from the top 1st but coudnt got any purchase on it.

Get it up on ramps, Then from underneath you can pull the cable back slightly and the nut moves easily away from the pin.

Thanks for the suggestions and help. Clutch should last longer now.

Hi, I have been under mine but could not work out how to get to the cable. The gearbox seems to be in the way, can you give any tips on what to look out for on the underside?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:38 am 
Club Founder

Drives: Was C1 1.0 2005
I always did it from the top. Never an issue

The NEW improved CityBugStore! - For all your C1, 107, 108 and Aygo needs. Support the club! Club Members Discount, enter code C1OC at checkout

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:09 pm 

Roc wrote:
I always did it from the top. Never an issue

Hi, any tips on how to get the adjuster wheel to move. Mine is stuck solid. I don't think I'm weak, just can't get a good grip on it and the battery tray is cutting my right arm to pieces!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:04 pm 

Update on clutch. I managed to get to it from underneath today after a failed attempt to get the battery tray off. I could not budge the nut underneath the tray and I lost a 1/4 inch 12mm socket as a result of my efforts! So I decided to go underneath and this time I got it up as high as possible and, happily, this worked! The wheel turned beautifully! I was slightly challenged with working out which way I should turn it to reduce the freeplay. Initially, I turned it towards me and the pedal almost hit the floor before biting! Then I reversed the direction and then this resulted in hardly any free play. I adjusted it again and now it is about 20mm, which suits me at the moment. It might be better to be slightly less but I can't be bothered to crawl under to do it again. As they say, perfection can be the enemy of good! I am more bugged about losing the socket!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:16 pm 

Drives: 2006 C1
You better find your lost socket before you drive anything

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:38 pm 

brixtonboy wrote:
You better find your lost socket before you drive anything

Fairly sure I heard it fall out when I went for short drive later on. Heard a clink when something dropped on the floor. No rattling from the engine bay at all now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11