Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC). - New users please type the text from the Captcha Box as it is written.

It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Clutch Adjustment
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:45 pm 

Drives: C1rhythm 58 plate
I have a 58 plate c1 which has done about 45,000 miles. I have had it for 18 months and done 10,000 of those miles. It is driven by me and my 18 year old son (root of the problem?!?)
For quite a while there has been an occasional 'lag' when pulling away in first-particularly when the engine is cold. Over the last week or so I've noticed the clutch slipping ( revs increase when accelerator applied but no response) this happens when changing up the gears but sometimes just when accelerating hard. I read this forum and planned to adjust my clutch cable, but there is no free play at all on my clutch so not sure what to do.
No funny noises and generally goes into gear ok ( reverse occasionally needs a couple of tries and will pop in if you begin to engage the clutch)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:43 pm 

Drives: 2009 C1 VTR
Judithb67 wrote:
I have a 58 plate c1 which has done about 45,000 miles. I have had it for 18 months and done 10,000 of those miles. It is driven by me and my 18 year old son (root of the problem?!?)
For quite a while there has been an occasional 'lag' when pulling away in first-particularly when the engine is cold. Over the last week or so I've noticed the clutch slipping ( revs increase when accelerator applied but no response) this happens when changing up the gears but sometimes just when accelerating hard. I read this forum and planned to adjust my clutch cable, but there is no free play at all on my clutch so not sure what to do.
No funny noises and generally goes into gear ok ( reverse occasionally needs a couple of tries and will pop in if you begin to engage the clutch)

Same as I had. Loosen the adjustment knob that's down below the gear linkages in the engine so that you have some free play in the pedal. Mine had none and adjusted it and now is fine again.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:30 pm 

Drives: Peugeot 107 (2008)
I've recently had the problem of a "sticking clutch" as mentioned by JWhite. Mine is a Pug 107, 08 plate, 47k miles. Tried adjusting to no avail. Took to my local repairer who said there was an issue of broken springs with these earlier models. Had new clutch kit (release bearing, driven [friction] plate and pressure plate assembly (pressure plate, diaphragm spring and housing.) fitted for £350 parts and labour. Asked for the old bits so I could see the problem. It appears two (out of three) pieces of flat spring steel which attach the actual pressure plate to the diaphragm spring housing had snapped. Photographs attached for info. I snapped the remaining strip to remove the pressure plate completely. It is lying face down at the top of Image1. Image2 shows a close up of the broken spring steel strip.
In 40 years of motoring and DIY mechanics I've never came across a problem like this with a clutch!

After reading through this thread, I measured the diameter of the driven plate, which is 180mm. So, presumably this is the old version which has now been upgraded to 190mm.

This forum is excellent with some brilliant photos and diagrams posted on how to adjust the clutch as well as the "How to change the clutch" article in the full members area. (Looks a pretty daunting task!)

Perhaps the diagram, photos and some of the advice given in this Clutch Adjustment thread could be made into a "How to adjust the clutch." article.

Attachments:
File comment: Pressure plate(face down) shown at top. Diaphragm spring and housing below.
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg [ 176.74 KiB | Viewed 4507 times ]
File comment: Close-up of broken spring strip.
Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg [ 164.17 KiB | Viewed 4519 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:29 am 

Drives: C1
Hi,

I have a C1 2007 and the clutch was slipping. I followed the instructions (took me a while to find it) and adjusted clutch height. This has improved things, but I assume this is only a short term fix and I will need a new clutch.

The clutch on earlier cars is a known issue and was replaced with a larger unit around late 2008/early 2009, the club store has the repair fix available, this 190mm item fits all petrol models and years and fixes the problem for good.

When you talk about a known issue, is this something Citroen are taking responsibility for? Has anyone managed to get Citroen to pay for the replacement clutch?

Martin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:44 pm 
Club Founder

Drives: Was C1 1.0 2005
wolfboy wrote:
Hi,

I have a C1 2007 and the clutch was slipping. I followed the instructions (took me a while to find it) and adjusted clutch height. This has improved things, but I assume this is only a short term fix and I will need a new clutch.

The clutch on earlier cars is a known issue and was replaced with a larger unit around late 2008/early 2009, the club store has the repair fix available, this 190mm item fits all petrol models and years and fixes the problem for good.

When you talk about a known issue, is this something Citroen are taking responsibility for? Has anyone managed to get Citroen to pay for the replacement clutch?

Martin

You have no chance at 6 years old unfortunately.

The NEW improved CityBugStore! - For all your C1, 107, 108 and Aygo needs. Support the club! Club Members Discount, enter code C1OC at checkout

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:34 pm 
Administrator

Drives: Ice cream van
Not even after 6 months, its wear and tear.... Yet Toyota will cover it under their warranty....

Makes no sense as they are the same cars!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:49 pm 

Drives: 2011 C1
Sounds like the reason some taxi drivers choose a skoda octavia over a VW passat. Apparently Skoda replace everything under warranty without quibble, whereas VW are a nightmare to deal with.
Don't know how true this is, just read it on PH.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:14 pm 

Drives: C1
I assumed that would be the case, but annoying as car has only covered 20000 miles!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:33 am 

Drives: c1
I'm going to have a go at adjusting it today, ours judders slightly and is hard to put into gear, let's hope it works, will let you all know.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:34 am 

Drives: c1
Found the adjuster part, wow, how can you possibly turn it, nearly impossible with you fingers, you need something to grip it, god knows what will fit?, gonna try again later when i have more time. :evil:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next