Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:21 pm 

Drives: Citroën C1 Edition
hought I'd make this to help anyone in the future....

So my wife's Citroen locking wheel nut key broke the other day, shortly after fitting the spare wheel.
One of the 4 pins inside it snapped, meaning it just wouldn't grip the bolt properly. I was able to put the pin back in place to tighten the bolt enough, but after that it was toast.

Called up Citroen only to be told a new key is £75! But he said I was lucky to still have the key, as otherwise it could be very costly to get the old bolts removed.
I'm not sure if it's cos I was chatty on the phone with him, or if he felt sorry for me, but he told me a little fix to make the key work temporarily. At least enough to get the locking bolts off, and fit the standard ones.
He said that he doesn't bother with locking nuts/bolts... does anyone steal alloys anymore??

The objective is to drill into the key, and use the drillbit itself as a replacement pin.
So... following his advise, I raided my drillbit collection to work out what size bit would best fill the hole. Seems 3.5mm is close enough, 4mm was a bit too snug and there's a washer inside the key that I didn't want to impede with a larger drillbit.

What you'll need:

1x 3.5mm metal drillbit
1x drill
1x workbench/vice
1x junior hacksaw
1x safety goggles
(1x safety gloves)

So I went out and bought a cheapie new drillbit from local Screwfix which actually came in a pack of 2, ideal incase I messed up.

Then you stick the key in a vice... and drill down into the place where the pin used to be. Far enough down to give the drillbit a hole to sit in and keep it from wriggling loose when using the key on the wheel bolts. Maybe 5mm down?

Now this is where I must have misunderstood him, cos I thought he then said to use a hacksaw to cut the drillbit as it sits.... however I went through 2 blades before realising that the drillbit cutting edges were obviously much stronger than the hacksaw blades themselves!! So i flipped the drillbit upsidedown and effortlessly cut through the not cutting part of the drillbit. This actually makes more sense, as the non-cutting part is the same shape as the pins.

Here you can see how the drillbit sits in the void... and you can see how mangled it gets trying to get the chewed up locking bolts off! But it definitely worked as a temporary fix, and now I'll either buy a McGard set, or just go with the standard bolts to avoid future hassle :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:21 pm 

Drives: Citroën C1 Edition
oh wow, sorry for the huge pics.... usually forums shrink them down to a smaller size