Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:18 am 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Vibe
Hello,

I wanted to ask if anyone new any cool tips/tricks/hacks with the board computer that can be useful. Things like making the odometer show the rev/min (the revs), show the instant fuel consumtion, etc.

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:58 am 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
AFAIK nobody has found any ways to hack the firmware in the instruments - given how many of us dislike the lack of a water temperature gauge I would think that if it were possible to modify the behaviour someone would have found it in the 15 years the bugs have been on sale.

Sadly missed - 2006 Audi RS4 Avant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:11 am 

Drives: C1 Vibe 5dr 1.0 2008
Hi Borisxii, I think that you'll find that the average pocket calculator has more computing power than a C1. By far the easiest way to get the information that you want is to use the Android Torque app on your phone - it'll talk to a bluetooth unit that plugs into the diagnostics port. The app costs about £4.00 and will show you a lot of information - revs, coolant temp, volts plus lots of other stuff. The bluetooth diagnostic unit unit costs about a fiver from eBay and you'll find model recomendations if you search on here. If you are particularly interested (I'm not) you could run it all the time. I tend to use it now and again to look for error codes or check revs against speed in gears (my Vibe doesn't have a rev counter). It's very useful, for example, on diagnosing duff ignition coils - tells you which pot the misfire is on. I don't know if there is an Apple version - anybody else know?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:02 pm 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Vibe
Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. It's just a shame that 3 manufacturers collaborated together to literally make a budget car that's basically a 1:24 kinder surprise car. Only difference is you're paying the bourgeoisie equivalent of a buttload for a type writer on wheels. And the highest trim level gives you side airbegs, ffs. Superb. Thank you again for the responses!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:33 pm 

Drives: 2011 C1 VTR+
Hi

A lot of the info your looking for is available from the computer, but there's no easy way to get that info displayed as is.

I have an Android head unit so installed Torque and have info displayed on that. I know that's not what you were looking to do, but it's the most practical solution I've found to the problem.

Hope this helps.

W :thumbs:

Euralight LED DRL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:37 pm 

Drives: C1
MPJ wrote:
Hi Borisxii, I think that you'll find that the average pocket calculator has more computing power than a C1. By far the easiest way to get the information that you want is to use the Android Torque app on your phone - it'll talk to a bluetooth unit that plugs into the diagnostics port. The app costs about £4.00 and will show you a lot of information - revs, coolant temp, volts plus lots of other stuff. The bluetooth diagnostic unit unit costs about a fiver from eBay and you'll find model recomendations if you search on here. If you are particularly interested (I'm not) you could run it all the time. I tend to use it now and again to look for error codes or check revs against speed in gears (my Vibe doesn't have a rev counter). It's very useful, for example, on diagnosing duff ignition coils - tells you which pot the misfire is on. I don't know if there is an Apple version - anybody else know?

Go-On Buddy which "bluetooth diagnostic unit unit costs about a fiver from eBay" do you have. Please post a link.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:39 pm 

Drives: 14 Plate Peugeot 107
I don't think he means a full diagnostic thing, more a cheap one like a torque elm 327 reader thing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Torque-ELM-3 ... Swvpde7dCS

A little over a fiver, but guessing it was a rough off the top of the head figure.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:25 pm 

Yep, something like this - £5.99

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Torque-ELM-3 ... 1196.m2219

I'll find mine and come back with the manufacturer and model - but busy tonight on a meeting. Mine works fine on the C1, but not on my Mk4 Mondeo. Others can chip in with the units that they have that work :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:41 pm 

Just ducked off the meeting for a quick look and found mine. It's very generic - Described as "OBD II Interface Supports all OBDII protocols" no manufacturer or brand. My eBay account doesn't go back far enough for me to see where I ordered it from. Other board members may be able to give more specific info or ask the supplier for confirmation that the unit works with a C1. I don't think that they are particularly complicated, so you shouldn't have any great difficulty sourcing one. As I said above, the combination of this OBDII unit and the Torque Android app will give you a lot of information. The Elm 327 would be a good place to start - that seems to get the most mentions if you search this board on OBDII :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:01 pm 

I just done a search on the XTY14043 code on the anti-static bag that came with my unit and it turns out that it is an ELM 327 OBD2 unit, so you should be on pretty safe ground going for one of those.