Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC). - New users not working currently, New users please use 'City Bug Club' Facebook instead

It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Interesting reading
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:40 am 

Drives: 2006 C1
Ok, after nearly 11 years and 100K with my Aygo I finally said good bye to it. I don't get attached to material stuff usually but I feel as though I have lost a part of my body.

If I want to buy a small, reliable, economical and easy to drive vehicle that is also fun to drive (I loved the gentle roar/purr of the engine!) in the future then I would definitely buy the Aygo again.

Here's a summary of my vehicle's history and repairs - something I feel would be useful to someone somewhere as if I were looking for a new car to buy I would like
to know what needs to be replaced / fixed when, etc:

- I had five sets of tyres over my ownership (I always rotated them and replaced all four at the same time) - 2 sets of Conti EcoContact, 2 sets of Toyo and 1 set of Avon ZT5.
My favourite were the Avons, once they were run in; they all cost between £140-£190 fitted so were dead cheap.

- the vehicle had main dealer service for the first four years and then serviced by myself;

- oil & filter change was done yearly by myself (only £20-£25 even if I go for premium grade e.g. Shell Helix synthetic oil, so dead cheap as well ); the amazing thing
about the engine is that I never once had to top up the oil between oil changes!

- air filter was changed every other year - only cost £5-7.

- spark plugs were changed at 40K when serviced by Toyota and then replaced with Denso Iridium plugs at 65K. Contrary to common belief, these do make a noticeable difference in fuel
economy so if you plan to keep the vehicle long term like I did, then I throughly recommend them.

- I had the front brake/pads replaced at around 35K miles and then again at around 85K; the rear shoe/drum never needed replacing.

- aux fan belt was changed at around 70K which cost around £50 at the local garage.

- water pump was replaced under warranty twice(!) and the last one they fitted seem to be working fine.

- pedal assembly was replaced under warranty (there was a major recall five/six years ago)

- none of the light bulbs went out except for the main head light. The last time I replaced them was back in 2010 (used Halfords' blue "xenon" bulbs).

- air con still working and as effective as the day I purchased the vehicle (never had to re-charge!)

- the original battery still going strong and never had a flat battery although the longest I left the vehicle unused was for four weeks in May and three weeks in January, up in Scotland.

- First few months after purchase of the vehicle I only filled up with premium fuel (they were only 5p or so more expensive than regular and full tank only cost £1.50 to £2 more than normal unleaded so why not?);
I only used Shell/Esso/BP etc and only used super market fuel only as a last resort (this only happened probably 10 times ) and even then only enough to get to a proper petrol station.

- Unfortunately the MMT clutch assembley failed at around 75K so I had it replaced by Toyota and it cost me just over £500 (ouch)

Things I didn't like about the Aygo are:

- MMT takes getting used to if you've only driven a car with proper automatic transmission

- it is a bit noisy on the motorway

- not sure if it is due to the small engine but in winter it took ages before the heater started to blow warm air!

- no traction control so if I stepped on the gas too harshly say when joining the roundabout from a stand still, it burn rubber :blink:

I haven't been an active member but I did use this forum every now and then to get help with trouble shooting so big thanks to the guys here for that!

Ben
Sorry guys posted this in the wrong place, again found it in the Argo forum.

Gregory Isaacs R.I.P.

Post subject: Re: Interesting reading
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:20 am 
Administrator

Drives: Ice cream van
Thanks for sharing

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:29 pm 

Drives: 2006 C1
Sorry guys I know l posted it in the wrong place but l'm crap at that

Gregory Isaacs R.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:04 am 

Drives: Mini Cooper Diesel
Nice history, sounds like a very loved Aygo.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:47 pm 

Drives: was VTR 2009
I thought you had a C1? ;) :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:11 pm 
Administrator

Drives: Ice cream van
It's not bbs, he copied it from the ago forum

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk