Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC). - New users not working currently, New users please use 'City Bug Club' Facebook instead

It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Led headlight review
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:32 am 

Drives: Citroen c1 vtr 2011
Just been looking around the forums and come across an old topic on led headlights, and just wanted to share my expierience. As I know a lot of people want to upgrade their lights but can't always find the best option! I honestly hate halogen headlight they are awful! It's like trying to light up the road with candles! I did upgrade to a hid kit in my c1 and although they give out a lot more light they aren't designed like a h4 bulb so give off a lot of glare into oncoming traffic, and the high beams wernt that much brighter! therefore I needed a solution. I found led headlights on eBay and I found some made by a company called nighteye. At first I thought they would just been cheap and crap, but was reading some reviews and some people said brilliant and some said no better than a halogen! But anyway for £25 i purchased a set just to see if they were any good. First impressions when they turned up was that they are actually of a very nice build quality! Also the led headlights are actually designed like a h4 bulb which means it gives off the correct beam pattern in a h4 fitting!!! So while they are still really bright they are actually no brighter than the headlights on cars fitted with hid kits out the factory. Really easy to install had mine about 2 months now and they are excellent! Couldn't fault them! And I would highly recommend them to anyone looking to upgrade their headlights,

Link to the ones I brought. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262631229721

Post subject: Re: Led headlight review
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:14 am 

They actual bulb just twists out of the fitting plate, then put the fitting plate in push the clip back over it and then just put the bulb back in and twist it into place! And then just plug and play with the connectors! Really easy to do!

This video shows fitting process https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fHWSVlxtMg4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:39 am 

Personally I wouldn't buy the ones with the heat sinks like the one in the video, but the link I posted for the headlights I purchased aren't like that and don't actually get that hot!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:53 pm 

Drives: C1
Cool thanks for the reviews any pictures of them on in your car. Was thinking of a h4 bi xenon kit but these look better if the quality is as good as the pictures.

The early leds were cheap and nasty and used to bun out.....wouldn't worry about the heat sink have you felt how hot a normal h4 bulb gets.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:43 am 

Drives: Citroen C1 1.0 2011
I'm also interested, but my understanding is that beyond 2000 lumen / bulb you have to have a washer system and self leveling, otherwise you could (theoretically) get in trouble. Therefore I would stick to something with lower power. 2000lumen is probably a led around 20-25w, and that would also solve the heating issue.

And I'm also looking for a lower temperature, 6500k is too blue and it sucks in wet weather. I would go 5000k (haven't found anything below).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:06 am 

I think it must be higher than 2000 lumen as 2000 wouldn't light up much, had mine a while never been flashed or anything so don't think they are too bright for other drivers, also 6500k is pure white not blue, if you have been sold 6500k bulbs that have been blue then they weren't 6500k!! As anything less starts to go back towards yellow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:16 pm 

You can see it yellow at like 3000k. On my other car I have OEM xenon, 4700k and it's still white.
2000 lm is more than a halogen anyway. Not as good as xenon but again, for xenon and very powerfull bulbs you need to have leveling and cleaning systems. OK, maybe 2500 lumen is better (almost the duble of a halogen bulb), but I don't want to attract the attention (of the police :D)

I've seen CREE bulbs, 25w, 2800lm, 5000k that seem interesting. Anybody tried those any of those?
Something like this:
https://www.amazon.fr/Ampoule-phare-LED ... B00NIREUT4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:09 pm 

Drives: 2009 C1 Splash
james kilowatt wrote:
You can see it yellow at like 3000k. On my other car I have OEM xenon, 4700k and it's still white.
2000 lm is more than a halogen anyway. Not as good as xenon but again, for xenon and very powerfull bulbs you need to have leveling and cleaning systems. OK, maybe 2500 lumen is better (almost the duble of a halogen bulb), but I don't want to attract the attention (of the police :D)

I've seen CREE bulbs, 25w, 2800lm, 5000k that seem interesting. Anybody tried those any of those?
Something like this:
https://www.amazon.fr/Ampoule-phare-LED ... B00NIREUT4

The rules on HID bulbs changed in 2012 (I think). The requirement for headlight washers was removed for anything under about 2000lm. My current car has HID but no washers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:57 am 

Drives: peugeot 107 urban
sorry for diging up an old post
i ordered a set of nighteyes like the OP but chose the 9000lm, 6500k
wow they are bright!
what a difference over the old original bulbs
i had to cut the end of the rubber boots so they could fit
lets see if i get flashed by anyone tonight, hopefully not.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:49 pm 

I tried also nighteye LEDs (4500 lumens each, 30w, the lowest power I found), but I gave up, it's almost impossible to install them due to the tiny screw (see picture) that is exactly where the ressort hoding the bulb in place shoult be.
I made a test (without the screw, so the led was quite loose) and it's not bad at all. You can see the difference between the LED and the Phillips Xtreme +130%. The led is adjustable and it is possible to find a position that concentrates the light quite OK.