Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:19 am 

Drives: C1 Gti
This is no run-of-the-mill Citroen C1. This is a turbocharged conversion, which brings the best aspects of lightweight performance, whilst retaining the good economy and running costs. I believe it is unique in this respect, and it is for this reason that I have owned the car for over 3 years, which is a personal record for me. For photos, please view my Pistonheads advert at: http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/citroen/c1/citroen-c1-gti--balance-motorsport-turbo-conversion/6164283?v=c

When I bought this car from Julian Spender at Balance Motorsport, we discussed this fact, and I still believe that Citroen/Peugeot/Toyota missed a trick in not producing a hot version of the C1/107/Aygo triplets. It truly is the closest modern car in spirit to the 205 Gti, and between us, Julian and I have created a fast but frugal version of the C1. To give some qualification to that statement, I have owned over the years various 80’s hot hatches including 6 205 Gti’s (I still have my laser green 205 Gti 1.9 stored away which I will never sell!).

Julian first built this car in 2010 as a demonstrator for the conversion, using the basic ‘Vibe’ model as a base. This was chosen to keep the basic weight as low as possible, and in turn, produce the highest power to weight possible. This car had a starting weight of only 790kg!

The Balance Motorsport website probably says more about the car than I can put in this advert, which can be found here: http://www.c1gti.co.uk (note that the car on the website is actually this very car).

Henry Catchpole tested this very car for Evo Magazine in November 2011, and gave it 4/5 stars. A scan of it can be seen here: Image

To summarise the website, the main features of the car over and above a ‘standard’ C1 are:

- Turbocharger conversion – Using a KKK K03 turbo. Boost adjustable from the cabin via a GFB electronic controller. Running 96bhp at low boost, 106bhp at medium and 110bhp on high setting. Fully re-mapped using AEM ECU and 360cc uprated injectors.

- Water injection system fully installed – Fully user-controllable from cabin.

- BMC air filter system – relocated to N/S front bumper for cool air induction.

- Full stainless steel cat-back exhaust system – Gives a decent 'growl' to proceedings, without being intrusive or too loud. Perfect for everyday use.

- MOCAL air/air oil cooler – fittings include modified sump for oil cooling of turbo.

- Fully adjustable AVO coil-over suspension - This set was developed directly with AVO themselves to produce a firm yet still supple ride. Ride height set to optimum for road use (but can be lowered as required).

- ROTA Torque 15in alloys wheels – chosen for their light un-sprung weight. Finished in white.

- Rear 22mm ARB – This is the one modification that truly makes this conversion and brings back 1980’s levels of fun and involvement that you thought had gone for good.

As far as I know, this is the only fully converted C1 Gti in the UK. Since buying it from Julian, I have made a few changes and additions of my own which aren’t detailed on his website, which addressed the things mentioned in the Evo review:

- Genuine Recaro alcantara-trimmed seats. These originally came from a Mitsubishi Evo 1, and are mounted on OMP frames. The colour match to the interior was a happy coincidence and they look like they are OEM fitment.

- OMP ‘Trecento’ steering wheel and mounting boss, and aluminium OMP gear knob. I still have the original (airbag) wheel if required/preferred.

- Water injection system is now fully controllable from the cabin. The boost/mapping has now been optimised so that the system can be turned off completely when running on low boost. I have also fitted a water low-level warning light, so you don’t need to worry about running out either.

- Power steering is now user controllable from the cabin. A button on the dash disables power assistance, giving an old-school feel and weight to the steering. Because the car is so light, this does not make the steering unmanageable, and greatly increases steering feel as there is no artificial ‘helper’ corrupting feedback.

Please note that this is not a show car. If you want something to polish, this probably isn’t the car for you…This car was built to be driven. In a nutshell, this car is really for someone who wants 80’s fun, with modern levels of reliability and running costs.

The car has now covered just over 90k and has been used by me as my daily for almost the whole time I have owned it. The bodywork is in pretty good condition for its age and mileage, and so is the interior. It has been absolutely faultless during that time, and the engine has coped fantastically with any extra demand placed on it (although this is probably a testament to Julian’s mapping skills).

The brakes have not been touched apart from the fitment of EBC Greenstuff pads. The brakes are exactly the same spec as those found on a 1.6 205 Gti, so are more than up to the job.

This is not a stripped out track car, either. It still has ABS, an ipod-compatible stereo and carpets so everyday driving was never a chore. Best of all is that driven carefully, the car will still return over nearly 60mpg and costs only £20 per year to tax.

Mechanically, it has wanted for nothing as it has been my daily driver so I needed it to be reliable. On that front, it has been faultless. It has never let me down, and needed only consumables replacing over the 3 years I have owned it. The clutch has been recently replaced, and new tyres have just been fitted. It has a full year of MOT and has a fully stamped service book. In addition, it has had twice yearly oil changes with either Silkolene or Gulf fully synthetic oil.

I'm looking for £2150, which I think is fair, especially given that this is roughly the going rate for a standard car of similar age, milage and condition.

If you have any further questions, please ask.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:44 am 

Drives: `66 Reggae Rhythm
Sounds and looks like 1 hell of a Citroen C1

Gregory lsaacs r.i.p.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:24 am 

Drives: 2009 Corsa SRI 1.6T
They did miss something not making a GTi version out the factory, probably not considered safe with that much power on tiny wheels and brakes though (by EU safety standards).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:22 am 
Area Rep

Drives: Citroën C1
That's still cheaper than getting a turbo kit fitted to your own C1

Alfa Romeo 159 Turismo Sport
Renault 5 Auto

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:47 pm 

Drives: `66 Reggae Rhythm
You can say what you like, if this car was LHD l would sell Jacky and fly there and buy it. It's red etc. but it's probably sold anyway by now.

Gregory lsaacs r.i.p.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:59 pm 

Drives: C1 Gti
brixtonboy wrote:
You can say what you like, if this car was LHD l would sell Jacky and fly there and buy it. It's red etc. but it's probably sold anyway by now.

Gregory lsaacs r.i.p.

Still for sale :).

I'm open to offers, by the way.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:46 am 

Drives: 2011 Citroen C1
What's the insurance like on this? All mods declared?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:00 pm 
Moderator & Club Rep

Drives: DS3r Loeb Replica
If I had the space this would be mine

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:42 pm 
Administrator

Drives: Ice cream van
Go on Mike! Make space! Get rid of on of your 8 ds3s

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:14 pm 

Drives: Citroen C1 1.0 2011
I have a different issue with it. The steering wheel is on the wrong side..